tsfn.net

Washington D.C. High School Football

Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

View:
Sort By:

Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

3/2/2012 1:21:08 AM

This is a fantastic recruiting tool for FCA.  Isn't DM interested in a game like this?  Really can't believe that DM isn't going after games like this.  Good Counsel, Gilman...now FCA.  All going national.

Really seems that DM is no longer stepping up to the plate.  Friendship playing Manatee.  In Florida!  Has DeMatha given up?  Bishop Gorman, Don Bosco, Manatee-who is DeMatha playing?

They are not going to get the athletes they need unless they take games like this.  FCA really seems to understand this.

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down

Re: Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

3/2/2012 1:26:19 AM
@BigDrop

It's also noted on another board that the game will be on ESPN.  I just can't believe that DM isn't going after games like this.

3/2/2012 9:15:41 AM
@BigDrop

Yeah, I'm one alumnus that thinks we should chill.  I think that Coach Brooks is doing the right thing.  Coach Brooks is scheduling the games the way he wants to and isn't taking the advice of random people on message boards.  

Good for Friendship and Good Counsel for going (or staying) national with their football programs.  That doesn't take anything away from DeMatha.  It actually has nothing to do with DeMatha, whatsoever.  We can compare schedules all you want to, but at the end of the day DeMatha will play a nationally ranked opponent this year.

If "recruits" don't want to come to DeMatha because Friendship Collegiate is going to Florida, then I can honestly wish them well.  If you think that playing a nationally ranked schedule is going to sway the opinions of recruits on the fence between DeMatha and Good Counsel, then you don't understand the WCAC at all.

And to that effect, Gilman and Baltimore can pack sand.  We'll play in Baltimore when we feel like it.  Balitmore can't say the same of DC.

3/2/2012 5:43:38 AM
DM doesn't need those games! The WCAC is the conference in the country! If you win the conference, that means you beat a national power house like GC! If DM wins the conference they will be the best team in the state!

Re: Re: Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

3/2/2012 9:14:56 AM
@TruGator

what kind of school is FCA? Do any students even attend their games? I understand its a relatively new school but is there really a community around the school itself or is ajust a school where you can send your son to play football. From an outsider, it seems like if you can't cut it academically in the WCAC, just send your son to FCA where there seems to be very little academic regulations.

I just truly don't see the appeal in playing for a team which does not play in any league.

Re: Re: Re: Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

3/2/2012 9:55:04 AM
@prettyboy
FCA is a public charter school in Washington DC that has a football program that is attracting some of the top players in the area. They will play any team any time and any day! They put kids in college just like some of the most prestigious private schools in the area. To this date, I have never gone on DM's campus to watch a football game so don't go there! In fact, I don't know too many national ranked private schools that don't have their own field!!!! You guys need to stop hating on FCA!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

3/2/2012 10:11:30 AM
@TruGator

Let's see...It seems to me that FCA operates like a private school but is funded by DC tax dollars. They admit the best players from other DC public schools to become a national public high school program.  Is this fair? Is this how they operate?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

3/2/2012 11:03:39 AM
@sv1980
Yes it is fair! That's how DC high school football works! Sounds like a good deal! For those who need that kind of situation FCA works well!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

3/2/2012 1:15:20 PM
@TruGator

Are you serious about FC??? They had a 9-1 record, but it was against soft teams and the one major team they played with high rankings, they lost that game.  Also, there academics are a joke, how many of those kids that got offer, really qualified?  We shall see the college rosters in August, but I guarantee, it won't be 18 or 19 they are claiming.  Anybody who believes in FC program is betting on fools gold. IJS!!!  There is no way they can compete with the WCAC in athletics or academics.  Heck, over the last 9 years or so, what are Friendship past players doing?

3/2/2012 9:24:37 AM
@TruGator
Hold up there!!! A couple of thins, winning the WCAC really means nothing now on the national scale. Well it neve meant anything but now it really doesn't. It's not a super strong conference and never has been. Beating GC means everything though. GC is top dawg but let's not say that as an absolute. I have to agree with Drop. DM has to step up to the plate and play teams. They are still getting high level players at a high rate, challenge them. That's why I have always lived Friendship. No matter is they are outmanned or not, they aren't running from anyone. It's no wonder why they are getting the best DC players. Manatee is a powerhouse and will be better this upcoming season. GC is playing Gorman. Gilman is playing Bosco and probably Byrnes from S. Carolina or might be Phoebus. Maybe both I'm hearing because of an open date. Kids want to be showcased.

Re: Re: Re: Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

3/2/2012 9:41:30 AM
@GREYHOUNDALUM
BigDrop and Greyhound - thank you for your prescient and repetitive harping on this subject. It is extremely valuable.I've read a lot of your respective posts, and quite frankly I am surprised that neither of you have suggested that some of these schools petition the SEC to be granted admission as football-only members. I think this is the next natural step for these programs to achieve your approved stamps of legitimacy.

3/2/2012 10:09:11 AM
@GREYHOUNDALUM
I not sure if you have to go to that extent to play a good football team! Gilman lost to GC last year! That means there is local talent that was better that day! I would put Gliman in the top 10 in the state last year! I am not sure if they would have been in my top 5! Being a conference champion is not enough to be crowned a top 5 program in a talent rich state like Maryland! Good luck with your national schedule! I am routing for you guys to represent us well!

3/2/2012 10:21:21 AM
@TruGator

You are kidding right? You would put Gilman in the top 10 in the state but don't know about the top 5? If you don't have them at #2 behind GC, who in the world do you have in front of them?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

3/2/2012 10:58:59 AM
@FalconFamily
I am giving GC the benefit of the doubt because they were extremely talented and they ran the table! Gilman was talented also but they lost to GC therefore they have to be seated behind the 4 State Champions! That would make them #6

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Friendship Collegiate is Playing Manatee in Florida: Where's DeMatha?

3/2/2012 11:28:05 AM
@TruGator

So good of you to give GC the bennifit of the doubt. They were only ranked #4, #5 or #6 in the COUNTRY depending on the national poll. Of course I will go with #4. So the #4 team in the country gets your reluctant nod for #1 in the state and each level of the state public schools gets ranked by you ahead of Gilman just because they were only conference champs and their only loss was to the #4 team in the country. Flawless logic there. Let's forget that neither GC or Gilman are able to play in the state PUBLIC SCHOOL playoffs or how good the teams actually are. You really think all 4 of the state champs could have beaten Gilman?

3/2/2012 12:04:04 PM
@TruGator
Gilman isn't in your Top 5??? That's the craziest post I have seen on here in a long time. Gilman was Top 35 in the country in every poll but don't make your state top 5! Wow. Gilman and GC can't play in states, so that's a horrible argument. Gilman would have CRUSHED every state team. GC and Gilman will again this year be head and shoulders better than any team in the state. And Gilman doesn't have to come to DC. They have always played teams across the country, they aren't worried about any team in DC.

3/3/2012 1:16:39 PM
@TruGator

The WCAC is Good Counsel and other pretty good teams. DeMatha and Saint John's both lost to Calvert Hall last year. Second place Gonzaga lost to Prep. It's a good not great conference.

3/3/2012 3:21:13 PM
@ps019364

Rightarmcannon13, Nobody is saying FCA is a bad football team. Nobody is scared to play them either. The facts are facts. They have not beaten DeMatha, GC or Gilman. They are pointing out that the actual school/academic side is becoming a joke. It's a much athletically less successful Montrose Christian. This coming year's transfers are the proof. I want to add that I totally support how the school is using it's football program to send kids to college for free. I just do not agree with the route they take to get there.

pso19364, your right about it being a good not great conference, but just this past season. DM has run the state/DC for the last 20 years and GC just had the highest national ranking since DM in the 90's. Gonzaga and St. Johns have just recently put more effort($$$) into their football programs. I know you have no clue about what going on with schools like O'Connell and St. Mary's Ryken, but they just made the decision to go for a top tier football program this current school year. The WCAC has been a great conference in the past. A good conference the year. The class of the Mid Atlantic in 3-4 years.

3/2/2012 2:58:32 PM

FC is up and coming.  Struggling students struggle academically regardless of where they go to school.  In many cases they are much better off at FC than at a WCAC school.  Times are changing.

3/2/2012 3:50:31 PM
@tdown

How many FC students are pass by the NCAA clearinghouse to play D1 sports? 

3/2/2012 7:04:28 PM
@prettyboy

Big Drop,

DM won't even play local powers much less national players.  They have to protect the Madison Street Mistake.

3/2/2012 9:16:20 PM
@WCAC Coach

wcac coach - if your actusally a coach then you are rather pathetic to come on here and bad mouth other coaches and if your not a coach your pathetic for impersonating a coach.

3/5/2012 9:56:26 PM
@WCAC Coach
Very clever Chris

3/2/2012 7:18:23 PM
@tdown

Tdown, rather than make completely false statements that can easily be knocked down, how bout you back it up with facts? FC has little to no capacity to handle students with moderate to major learning difficulties. They also lack the staff and capacity to deal with regular "struggling students" who might just need a few courses in time mgmt to help them along, despite what they may claim. Juxtapose that with the Ryken program at OLGC, and the number of pretty darn good schools for kids with learning difficulties outside of the borders of DC that DC residents can attend free of charge, and Id think that one would agree that a school like FC is a terrible option for struggling students despite their academic ability. Also, almost all (if not all, dont want to throw around assumptions as fact as tdown does) WCAC schools provide courses in study skills, time management or something of the sort for at risk students. They specifically target said students 

One has to conclude that tdown, based upon his statements is one of those struggling students he referred to who lacked the parental support to identify it. Poor him. 

3/3/2012 11:36:29 AM

its very entertaining that u so called football experts can bad mouth fca........if u want to prove who has the best team in the dmv area, tell those in charge to contact fca about setting up the game...........

3/10/2012 4:35:32 PM
@Rightarmcannon13

What's the rule on reclassifying football players in DC? What's the rule on 5th year seniors in DC?

Just asking.

3/3/2012 3:24:26 PM
FCA will take some of the kids that may have considered DM, Zag, St. Johns any maybe Carroll. If they can hold it together, they will be competitive. Gonzaga is less than 10% African American so it will really hurt them in attracting inner city kids. FCA is good for DC.

3/3/2012 7:32:11 PM

@silverbullet, when u talking about facts make sure u know yours before u speak. how do u know if fca academics are a joke. let me school u on the non football route, they have students that not only get accepted into college but also are awarded some great scholarships that most private school students get as well. the qb on the previous football team accepted a full academic scholarship to columbia univ. fca seniors start their college and scholarship application process during the spring of their jr year. yes u have kids that struggle but its students that struggle in the private schools as well.......yes fca is the football place to be, but lets not forget, everyone attended dematha, carroll, st johns when things were looking good. last i checked u must meet academic requirements at some colleges to even get accepted, so how about u go over to fca and see how these kids are getting into colleges, they damn sure not getting accepted because they can only play sports...................

3/4/2012 2:07:49 AM
@Rightarmcannon13

Rightarmcannon, I’m assuming that you were actually responding to me rather than Silver bullet, so Ill respond here. If I am wrong on the previous, don’t care, going to respond anyway. First and foremost, if you want to be a standard-bearer for an academic institution, learn how to spell and make sure you capitalize the first words of sentences. It sort of diminishes your argument that the school you claim to represent is solid academically when you cant even throw together a coherent, grammatically correct sentence.

Moving on to addressing your asinine post. The inaccuracy of it was hilarious by the way. You may want to check your family tree. Based upon your posts, I’m pretty sure you’ve got some branches crossing over there.

To answer your question, how do I know FCA academics are a joke? …I know because I have both worked with them (not for them please note, I’m too bright to do so) and I have seen their numbers. I’m not going to bore you with personal stories, ill jump straight to the numbers. Ill start with the overall rankings, check the DC city paper. They are ranked as a low level tier two PCS (http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2011/12/07/d-c-public-charter-schools-ranked/). Looking at their AYP scores, one has to laugh at the academic reputation of the institution. Barely 40% of their student population met basic proficiency in reading and barely over 50% of said students met proficiency in math. Long and short, their academics are a joke for a PCS. It is a public charter school. Kids there are supposed to be getting up to speed at a minimum and getting ahead of their peers should be the expectation. Yet KIMA, err, excuse me, FCA cant even get the majority of their students up to proficient. For the love of god, I’m not even talking about average; I’m talking about basic skills. FCA cant get over half of their students up to the ability to be considered capable of handling basic math and reading skills for their age. Truly sad. So, you should probably make sure you know your facts before you speak. Clearly I know mine.

I must admit though, you are right on one item. FCA students do start their college app process in their Jr year. Like many public charter schools, applying and gaining acceptance to a college is a pre-req for graduation at FCS. But all FCS students know that DC residents who graduate from a DC public high school are automatically admitted into UDC provided they apply.  So gaining acceptance into a college when applying to UDC and being from DC is really a joke when one considers it. And, diminishing the accomplishment of gaining college acceptance into UDC from FCA more is the fact that there is no overarching test (like the NY regents exam) that really determines who really deserves to earn a diploma. So that “accomplishment” is really still a joke. The diploma that an FCS student gets (like most from DCPCS and DCPS) is based upon arbitrary grades from teachers. But, this isn’t the fault of FCS, it is the fatal flaw of DCPS as a whole.

I will say this, what silver bullet said is correct; FCA is a pitiful, empty shell of what Montrose Christian is. And seeing as how Montrose isn’t something to rally around, well one can make their own conclusions about FCA.

Oh, and T-Down, once again, stop making completely false statements. Gonzaga’s African-American population is well above 10%. But, based upon how you attempt to make an argument, I guess I should simply be impressed by the fact that you are able to turn on a computer. So perhaps I should let you inability to get anything correct slide.

Just my thoughts, open to responses. 

3/4/2012 7:20:04 AM

@dcjon, first and foremost, im typing from my phone and if proper grammer or complete sentences means that much to u, then i dont care personally. trust me i have a great deal of education to know how to write. anyway, moving past that, again check your facts. those kids are far from just attending udc, maybe thats was the only school that accepted u.  for the record, my statement was meant and directed at silverbullet, so if u two are have a special bond, then i guess u are protecting yours.......lol......so i will be very brief, u are entitled to your bs comments, but as i see it, if u have these issues, how about u just make your way to fca, meet with the hc and voice these bum issues. i can sit behind my phone or computer and talk shit, but if there is ever a day that you personally want to meet me to discuss these issues, just let me know, and trust me, i will show you how asinine i can be...............

3/4/2012 8:24:46 AM
@Rightarmcannon13

i think you just did.

3/4/2012 10:26:25 AM
@Rightarmcannon13

Dcjon put the facts out there and backed them up. You blindly defend a school that is a DISGRACE when it comes to academics. But, as long as they can recruit other DC athletes and play football everything else should be ignored. You then make threats that you somehow think will strengthen your argument....Really??This is EXACTLY what is wrong with FC and DCPS.

3/4/2012 12:13:42 PM
I hope FCA makes it. It would be nice to see them develop a basketball program. How many kids that commute in from Montgomery County and NOVA that attend Schools like Zag and Prep would attend FCA if they had a so called great academic program? NONE! FCA is good for DC.

3/4/2012 12:33:21 PM

Lmao @the haters......peace

3/4/2012 2:20:57 PM
@Rightarmcannon13

"Lmao @ the haters.....peace". What does that even mean? Nobody is "hating" on the football program at FCA. They are good, but they still can't be considered a top local team until they get over the hump and beat a top tier local program. You were provided with facts from dcjon(Washington City Paper) about the lacking academics at FCA. It's bad and there is no way around it. The football coach is doing an amazing job. He is single handily putting kids into college for free, but when you take multiple academically struggling transfers on a yearly basis just based on athletic ability it's a red flag. Good luck to FCA in the future and maybe they can right the ship academically, but for now they are not really in competition for kids debating on going to DM, GC, Gilman, CHC, Gonzaga etc..

3/5/2012 12:16:30 AM
@silverbullet

KJJ348, I owe you a beer if ever we meet. You summed it up so well. Either way, Ive got a couple minutes before I go to bed, so, I’m going to address Rightarmcannon’s (from here on out referred to as Uncle Rico) comments. First and foremost Uncle Rico, don’t try and BS people and claim you are typing 6-7 sentence replies from your phone. It implies one of three things, either you are lying (which is the most probable explanation), you have so little going on that you have the time to type a 6-7 post on your phone knowing it is a complete pain in the ass to do so, or you are attempting to cover up your lack of ability to communicate in English. But, we can easily conclude that the actual truth is that you are lying. And, to help you, for future reference the following lies would work better for you:

1. I was born and raised in Cambodia and therefore have no knowledge of anything regarding the English language or culture;
  2. My parents are cousins (more than likely true in your case);
  3. I was hit by a car in a busy intersection and have clearly not fully recovered (again, more than likely true in your case).

See friend, lies are easy. So don’t use weak ones when strong ones are readily available. You are a moron. Use that to your advantage. Make people pity you while you are talking out of your ass.

And, I don’t know about your phone, but even a basic blackberry gives spelling suggestions. Man, you spelled grammar as “grammer.” Is your phone as retarded as you are? My phone calls me out when i get your vs. you're wrong. What in the hell kind of ghetto ass provider are you using?

Now, to address your sentence, “trust me i have a great deal of education to know how to write.” Wait. Screw it. I can’t even begin to address that sentence. An inbred monkey could tear that sentence to hell. Really man? You use that sentence as an attempt to prove your intelligence. Again, go FCA!!! You guys have a parade of retarded people championing your school.

Finally, on to the actual substance of your post (and I use the word “substance” loosely): As I mentioned previously, I have worked with FCA in the past. I have no desire to go in-depth as to the extent of my working relationship with the school but I will give you the broad strokes. Long and short, I was in position to help the school start a sport there at no cost to them and I walked away so disgusted that I would have preferred to burn money rather than give it to that institution.  I have taken craps that are more qualified to mold children than their administrators, coaches, and teachers. That is more or less all. Now, Uncle Rico, I look forward to your half-assed response.

BTW, Silverbullet and sv1980, thanks much for realizing the intelligence of my post. Please note, I wasn’t typing this from my phone. 

3/5/2012 7:11:48 AM
@dcjon

djcon, what is your issue with FCA? DC needs more schools like this.  FCA wanted to be able to compete academically and athlethically with DC private schools.  FCA's admin knew if they had any success, they would keep DC kids in DC.  WCAC schools have provided opportunities to DC kids, but things are changing.    

3/5/2012 7:28:52 AM
@fireball

if you read the link that dcjon posted earlier from the paper, you would understand why he has problems fca.  or if you read any of his above posts, you would understand why he has problems with fca.  reading all of something can take a little bit of time, but you might not ask a question that had been answered repeatedly in a relatively small space.

its not that fca is bad at football, sure they aren't the power they claim to be, but they will be soon enough.  the problem is, at what cost?  are we willing to overlook a school's shortcomings in basic functionality because they are good at football?  several months ago, i was unwilling to comment on fca's academics.  i was merely impressed by their football team's rise.  now, however, having done some reading on the place, i find it scary that a school like this can exist on the public dollar.  

3/5/2012 8:01:13 AM
@dcjon

DCJOKE I mean Jon,

Finally...it comes out. You are like the scorn ex girlfriend. If the people at FCA had let you come in with your $$$ and do as you pleased then you would be here defending the school just as rightarmcannon but it didnt work out so now it is your mission to downgrade the school at any time possible. The numbers dont lie, the are bad, no one inside the school disputes that. Believe it or not, efforts and changes have been made to change those stats. Only time will tell.

Question for you, Have you ever thought that public High school scores are low because schools have to accept students at their current levels. A large number of public school kids reach the 9th grade on a much lower grade academically. So while a school could move a student from 2 grade reading level to 8th grade reading in one year (which can be seen as a victory to some), that school will still be scored negatively because that student didnt score on the current 9th grade level. Not an excuse but the reality.

Now some schools are selective or very selectively in the admission process. With that said those schools do not have to accept students that are very very low so the scores will look more favorable although the students improvement gap was not as big.

Example:

Selective school moves 9th grade student from 7th grade to 9th grade equals a +

Normal public/public charter moves 9th grade student from 2nd grade to 8th grade equals a -

While both are improving students and should be applauded but there is a "flaw" in our scoring system. I understand there is a bottom line of getting that student to a 9th or beyond level but lets not call it a joke by just throwing out some numbers. I truely believe that most people that follow high school academics and/or athletics want to see ALL of our students move on the be successful

Now as far as athletics go...It is much easier to improve a team then a school. When building a team FCA just a few years had to play whatever students athletes came out for the team. Some were good, some decent, some not so good. Over time with hard work the students that are selecting FCA athletics has improved and so has the program. SO TRUST ME when I say the school has not put athletics over academics. Sorry that things didnt work out for you. You should focus your energy on that school and team that you donated your money to. Or wait maybe it didnt happen at any other school either so maybe you should look in the mirror first.

3/5/2012 1:01:16 PM

@dcjon and his lover kj, again like i stated before, we can meet face to face and not continue to discuss your evident dislike of the fca program thru these post. i like the fact that biggame hit the nail on the head, maybe u are just a disgruntled former employee. it shows that you two are non football coaches who dont have a clue, stop acting like u are speaking on true facts. anyone can start false information and by the time it reaches you, its five times better. so when u have time in your schedule, make time to visit fca and discuss your negative deposition with the coaching staff............a real man would............lol

3/5/2012 3:37:54 PM
@Rightarmcannon13

seeing as how your assumptions are not only wrong, but homophobic, i won't address those more than making this statement, you are about as incorrect in your judgements as is possible. 

as for fca's education,  it can't be that good seeing as how your failed argument is what you consistently run back to.  on top of that, you should never offer to meet a stranger off of the internet, especially one proone to name calling and threats such as yours.  there are fifth graders at kipp, a legitimate public charter school, who know this. 

as i stated earlier, i had respect for fca and what their football program was doing.   then, i did some reading, something they don't require much of at fca, now i no longer respect it as an academic institution.  sorry.

as a teacher and a coach, but more importantly a citizen living and paying taxes in this city, fca's school is not only cheating its students, it is cheating the average dc taxpayer.  don't fall for their lies and skewed numbers.  the outcome will be proven four, five, six years down the road after the school as had its doors closed and can;t change its name from KIMA again.

3/5/2012 11:34:53 PM
@Rightarmcannon13

Uncle Rico, my apologies for the delay in replying. I work for a living, so I kind of have to wait until after CoB to get to things I enjoy, such as humoring you by responding. Let me start off by commenting on the homosexual swipe. Very mature for a fifth grader. Clearly your DCIAA education molded a truly mature human being.

On to substance, here goes: 1. I’m not going to waste my time by meeting you face to face. You summed up the high point of your life in another post by stating you were a DCIAA QB and that is clearly as far as you have gone. And, unless your last name is Leftwich, I’m not wasting my time meeting a DCIAA QB. Also any 3rd grader knows not to meet someone they meet over the internet. By announcing to the world you want to meet shows you are not only a moron but also a potential rapist. 2. I have stated that I am not a former employee of FCA. I am someone who, as an employee of a non-profit in the district, sought to help FCA athletics and academics, albeit not for football. The, school from an academic perspective, was then and remains a train-wreck. I pointed out the numbers in previous posts, dont need to rehash them. You can call me biased. You can call me a "hater." You can say I have a bone to pick w the school. All of these accusations are irrelevant. The truth is in the numbers, and the numbers prove one thing: the school is a sham academically. Again, I have pointed that out in previous posts. But again, go KIMA!

Moving on, BigGame, I appreciate your point and I wish you were right. (Before I get in to why you are wrong, just a heads up, you meant to say, “scorned,” just to let you know). But, unfortunately you aren’t correct. The org for which I worked didn’t come in and look to take over ops or anything of the sort. We simply sought to examine the situation at the school and see if we wished to support it, like we did w many schools in DC. And I, along with a number of other people, realized that FCA was such a massive dumpster fire of a school that we would be better served throwing lighter fluid on a pile of cash and throwing a match on than actually supporting the institution in any way, shape, or form. It had nothing to do with control as you implied, it had more to do with spending money with schools that were worth spending from an academic perspective. And, I think we all could agree that when considering academics, one might be better served supporting school such as KIPP, Banneker, SWW, or Chavez.

Moving on, BigGame, your other analogy is wholly inaccurate. If FCA were a mainstream PS their test scores would be acceptable, even something to celebrate. As they would be required to accept anyone and everyone, if one looks at their numbers, they would appear to be pretty damned impressive. But, they are a public charter school, not a mainstream public school. They don’t have to take anyone and everyone. They can, to an extent, pick and choose. So their laughable test scores are pitiful. And if they were a mainstream PS, the fact that test scores have gone down might be acceptable. But again we are talking about a charter school. Their mission is to improve the academic standing of their students. FCA actually seems to be making their students dumber. I must admit that is impressive, albeit in a depressing way. I hate to use capital letters to emphasize a point, but here goes, FCA IS SHORT-CHANGING THEIR STUDENTS. I don’t care about their football program. That is irrelevant to me. Way to outscore overmatched opponents, now how about you try and match that same success in the classroom?

By the way, nice little play on words there, DCJOKE. Hope you didn’t spend too much time working the drive-thru thinking of that one. Clearly, based upon your little joke there you are one of those kids you described who entered HS at a second grade reading level. Also, just so you know, it is spelled “truly,” not “truely.” MS2010 actually corrects that which leads me to believe that you are so dumb your computer just lets your mistakes slide. Anyway, good talk.

Now, back to you Uncle Rico. As to your last point regarding what a "real man" would do, well, I know this, a real man wouldn’t use the term '"LOL" in any form of conversation. Keep on using it though friend. I have met some people who use that term in written word. Most of them are my co-workers kids. But that explains why you use the term, as I personally believe your education ended right around when you were 14.

Any who, all of the information I provided in previous posts regarding FCA were true. I do look forward to hear your continued half-cocked responses though. But please, continue to kick and scream and pretend that FCA is the Oxford (look it up, it is a school you aren’t even qualified to be a janitor at) of DC.

Finally Rico, if you are serious about meeting, Ill be down in DC in Apr. Ill be on 395 probably around noon on the 22nd, I assume I will pass by you picking up trash on the side of the road. When I see the most inbred looking moron in a florescent vest, Ill slow down long enough to wave and say hi. So, long and short looking forward to that meet.

Realize this post was a bit lengthy. My apologies to all who felt it was too long. But hope you at least enjoyed it.

Now, back to the point of the post. FCA, while good, is still a bit overrated. But, I look forward to see them play Manatee. Should be a solid game. 

3/6/2012 9:48:15 AM
@dcjon

Everyone hates because they arent and dont have anything like DeMatha. Thats why every other board is about DM. We Win so much and send so many kids to college not only in sports, but academically and in our band program. So all you haters out there, its okay that you cant be DeMatha.

3/6/2012 12:12:36 PM

That i must say was an interesting, and entertaning thread, i think yall better call a cease fire with dcjon! But to each is own, if the parents of these children feel as though FCA is the best place for their child then so be it, numbers are the numbers but they dont neccesarily reflect the football team but the school as a whole, me knowing Coach Rahim personally i dont think for once that he would allow his kids to play on his team with metioker grades, now thats just my opinion!

3/6/2012 1:47:41 PM
@Lion23Puma9
Everything dcjon has posted is true. Sad, but very true. It's not that anyone wants to harm FCA by posting on this site. It upsets people that tax dollars and non profit donations are being used for such low academic standards. What's wrong with that? Taking transfers from all over just because of athletic ability? Come on. Maybe people want to bring these things up in hopes of changes at FCA. The school hides behind the recent success of the football team. Some may say way too self inflated success, but will that be worth it when they shut down in a few years? As a DM alum, I wish FCA all the success in the world. It would only add to the area.

3/6/2012 2:48:07 PM
@silverbullet

Point taken, i can see where some would have a problem with how FCA operates, and i can see where some reap the benefits from it.

3/6/2012 11:28:08 PM
@silverbullet

Sliverbullet, as I stated at the end of my post, I felt bad it ran so long. Thanks much for summing it up so well. Excellent points and excellent post. I honestly hope the school turns it around academically, and if the success of their football team somehow serves as a catalyst for that, wonderful. Unfortunately, as I have seen from years of working with DCPCS who build their schools around atheltics rather than academics, I fear it will never happen. 

Either way though, still looking forward to seeing that FCA/Manatee game in the fall. 

You must login to report abuse. Close
Feedback
Warning! We will be updating TheSportsFanNetwork.com and all TSFN sites shortly.