tsfn.net

Washington D.C. High School Basketball

O'Connell BB Roster Violation?

View:
Sort By:

O'Connell BB Roster Violation?

1/14/2013 9:29:22 AM

What is the chatter about O'Connell having a 20yr old on the basketball team? Passport info not matching? Recruiting websites stating different info?

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down

Re: O'Connell BB Roster Violation?

1/14/2013 11:12:48 AM
@Observer

he's not 20.  he's 19. he's been playing high school basketball in Florida before this but he's from rockville.  just take the loss and keep it moving. c'mon fellas this "they have a 20 year old" thing is weak.

Re: Re: O'Connell BB Roster Violation?

1/14/2013 11:45:05 AM
@recruitdc

Got waxed and I am more then okay with that. Been a weird year for the team. Just heard some chatter and was curious how real it was. Still feel strong about DM winning it all

Re: Re: Re: O'Connell BB Roster Violation?

1/14/2013 11:59:20 AM
@Observer

the school that allowed keith bogans to play for them should not be questioning anyone's player ages.

Re: Re: Re: Re: O'Connell BB Roster Violation?

1/14/2013 1:16:12 PM
@kjj348

unless there is something wrong with my math, Keith was born on 5/12/1980 and graduated in June of 1999. He was 18 when he graduated. What is the issue with him?

I do agree that it is ridiculous to think that Etou is 20. No way that a high profile coach and program would allow that. Way too much to lose. I refuse to believe that. 

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: O'Connell BB Roster Violation?

1/14/2013 2:00:34 PM
@Beaver

Though I don't want you teaching my kid math, get your point.

1/14/2013 5:49:35 PM

there are a variety of web-sites that say etou is 20 years old. he also played fiba basketball at some point, never heard of another high school player that has done that unless he was illegal. but the only way to every know the truth is to go to the congo and find his birth certificate.

1/14/2013 6:20:49 PM

I heard that Etou was 28, and that he was also responsible for RG3's knee injury. He was playing d-line for the Seahawks under a fake alias. I also heard Etou played for the Lakers, the Cowboys and the Orioles. 

Re: Re: O'Connell BB Roster Violation?

1/14/2013 7:22:42 PM
@theguru

as i said, Wootten woldn't do that. Etou may be too old, but i for one am sick of all the questions. Truth be told, none of us know how old he is. Until it is proven that he is, stop crying and play ball. And i am a DM fan, and he kicked our a$$. 

Re: Re: Re: O'Connell BB Roster Violation?

1/14/2013 8:01:46 PM
@Beaver

if you are 19 or 20 why are you playing high school basketball anyway why you not playing with other 19 and 20 year olds. the avg high school kid is 17 in the 12th grade. i dont see how somebody being 19 or 20 in high school is kool but people are quick to say he is one of the best in wcac at that age he should be and that go for the rest of yall old dudes playing high school ball get in your right grade then talk oh yeah its a such thing as re-class up like andrew wiggins.

1/14/2013 10:44:24 PM
@ODOG

@Odog, Wiggins was a reclass before he moved back up to his original grade. His birthday is feb 1995.

To the rest of the board,

I don't know if Etou is 20 or not, but we cannot act as if there has not been questionable ages for foreign players coming to this country. From what I've seen, he played on the same national team with Serge Ibaka who was born in 1989 and they show Junior's birth year as 1992. It is what it is unless someone does an investigation and puts it to rest. But in my opinion that does bring up the question.

Example from an article from 2011 (Tanguy Ngombo is a Congo-born Qatari citizen who has played basketball internationally for Qatar. In 2011, he was selected 57th overall by the Dallas Mavericks, then traded to the Portland Trailblazers and, then, the Minnesota Timberwolves. Here’s the problem, though: Tanguy was almost certainly too old to be eligible for the NBA draft. He was listed as being born in 1989, which if true would make him 22. But back in 2005, he was listed as being born in 1984, which would make him 27.)

Either way, players have to be ready to play whoever they put on the floor. But to act like this is some conspiracy plot with nothing pointing in that direction is foolish.

1/14/2013 10:46:24 PM
@ODOG
ODOG, can you please change your handle? While your choice of names was uncharacteristically awesome, your ruining one of the best characters from my youth. Look, until you have stone proof, leave this topic alone. Oh yea, and Wiggins is 18. He would of been the first player taken in the NBA draft last year as a junior in high school. His re-class had to do with academics, which I and everyone else should be for.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: O'Connell BB Roster Violation?

1/14/2013 11:54:43 PM
@silverbullet

When Yarou first started at Villanova there was some talk that he was 5-6 years older than had previously been believed. When you're talking about intl birth certificates, who knows what to believe. It's been a constant problem in baseball. Personally, I'd like to see the WCAC schools get away from natl/intl recruiting. If a kid has an actual 'real' guardian to live with, maybe, but if they're living with a teammate or something arranged by the school, there's the potential for a lot of problems...Not to mention, I don't see how bringing in a kid from some far flung location in order to win games is within the school's mission. 

You must login to report abuse. Close
Warning! We will be updating TheSportsFanNetwork.com and all TSFN sites shortly.