Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/8/2017 11:39:44 AM

Big game tonight for the WCAC title. I'm thinking Gonzaga wins this one for their 8th straight title. SJC is good though. 

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/8/2017 3:02:03 PM

The SJC team, like Gonzaga's, has been 3 years in the making. This team has had some confusion, but adequate training and opportunity. Tonight I hope they bring their best....

default avatar

Re: Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/8/2017 9:15:04 PM
@DMVlacrosse

Congratulations to SJC! The fire has ended....and the phoenix has arisen!

Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/9/2017 7:24:30 AM

Not quite the dumster fire over at SJC that some people suggested. A few of us were talking at the end of the game that this is the way to build a program, not by recruting football players from UTAH. 

I know the program has had a few different coaches come and go, but I think some of the credit should go to Horsey for recruting a lot of good kids. 

Congrats to SJC for a nice win. I guess Gonzaga wasn't going to win every title forever. 

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

5/9/2017 10:31:02 AM
@theguru

Two months ago I noted just how good SJC looked under Speaks (a hard thing for me to do considering I am no fan of SJC) - he did a great job in his first season, especially considering the situation he walked into post-Trig. That said, spot on Guru. Horsey deserves a good chunk of credit for this W. Speaks won w Horsey's kids. Bobby laid a great foundation for Speaks to build off. Not to take anything away from Speaks, again the situation he inherited was not one any coach should have to deal with. Congrats to SJC boys lax - the program was built the right way. 

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

5/17/2017 12:17:24 PM
@theguru

The thanks should start with Danny Phillips for getting the seniors, Bobby did not recruit A LOT of good kids.  He brought in ones that no one else wanted.  Wes Finshed what Bobby could not do last year with the same kids.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/17/2017 9:10:18 PM
@SJC Lax

You are dreaming.... There is not one kid at SJC today that you can trace to DP's recruiting.  This team was built post-Danny and was trained with playing time during the Horsey era. The goal was to win the championship this year after GZ graduated the very strong class of 2016.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/18/2017 1:09:42 PM
@DMVlacrosse

100% correct. Danny had 8 years worth of recruiting classes and all ended up producing mediocre (at best) results for SJC. Outside of the goalie and two long poles (one of whom is sick), the junior class and underclassmen largely brought this championship home for SJC. I know that Wentz and Whitty are decent, but this was team that was carried on 2/3rds of the field by younger guys. And someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe Horsey helped bring at least of the long poles to SJC, no?

Those seniors who contribute owe their development to their club coaches, Bobby, and Wes. To give Danny any credit for this W is an insult to the SJC players, Bobby Horsey, and Wes Speaks. Danny is a fine coach, well suited for the youth ranks. But if we are being honest, his biggest contribution to the lacrosse world was helping to take down Giblin. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/18/2017 2:05:31 PM
@SJC Lax

While I am usually in favor of crapping on SJC, your ire is completely misguided. Bobby brought in kids "no one else wanted"? Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't those kids "no one else wanted" score every single goal in the finals v Gonzaga? Long had 2, Hall 2, Farrell had 2, and Haley 1. Welp, if those were kids no one else wanted and they were responsible for all the goals, it speaks volumes about Danny's recruits. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/25/2017 11:08:20 AM
@NewDC_Jon

Misguided I am not.  I have been a part of the SJC community for over 20 years. 

Haley is a freshman and did not come for Bobby, Hall was not recruited by Bobby, Long's older brother is a SJC  Senior.  Lets look at the Seniors who led this team, Hinton, not recruited by Bobby, Lane, Not recruited by Bobby, Kiracofe, not recruited by Bobby, came becasue he played with Hinton, Whitty older brother went to SJC.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/25/2017 1:48:41 PM
@SJC Lax

You are clearly misguided. If bragging about being a part of the SJC community for over 20 years isn't a sign of being misguided then I don't know what is.

Re: Haley, his family put down their deposit to attend SJC while Bobby was the HC, nice try though.So, to reiterate from my previous post: every single kid who scored for SJC in the WCAC finals was a Horsey recruit. Again, those kids "no one else wanted" recruited by Bobby scored every single goal in the finals v Gonzaga. 

And every single one of the kids you reference from the senior class was developed by Bobby and Speaks. Danny had 8 years worth of recruiting classes and all ended up producing mediocre (at best) results for SJC. The seniors you reference owe their development not to Danny but to Bobby and Speaks (and their club coaches). Danny did not develop talent - again, 8 years of recruiting classes bare that out. But please do continue to blindly defend the guy. You SJC guys are a riot- even when you win you can't celebrate it right. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/25/2017 3:17:16 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Your just a clown  You have no idea of what is going in this program.  Haleys family put down the deposit beacuse he is related to one of the coaches. 

Bobby did not get any one recruited from this team.  All thes boys were recruited through their club teams.  Their Club teams made them better.  Check out Bobby's club team, Preformace Lacrosse.  They were so bad they merged with Bethesda and Long Island express.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/25/2017 6:27:05 PM
@SJC Lax

Alright Danny, calm down. You're gonna get yourself so worked up you're going to end up getting into another fight with a 50 something. Seriously, that you created a username on this site simply to lie about and knock Bobby Horsey clearly indicate that you have issues with him based upon something not at all tied to his coaching ability or personality. Only one logical conclusion. Sad.   

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/25/2017 6:33:26 PM
@SJC Lax

Oh, and while I will totally dispute your claim that Bobby didn't get anyone recruited from his roster while he was at SJC, outside of fun, from a player perspective, the main reason to play club lax is to get recruited. Club programs bring the players to the college coaches through massive tournaments. That you seem to think it is so unusual that SJC players were recruited through their club teams (not all btw and certainly not exclusively) clearly indicates you have no idea how the process works.

I hope you are a HS kid with an irrational ax to grind and not what I suspect: a parent with an irrational ax to grind. At least if you are a kid, there is some justification for your petulant attitude and disgusting (and obvious) underlying reasons for having issues w Bobby. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gonzaga vs. SJC

5/26/2017 11:17:23 AM
@NewDC_Jon

My user name states the commuity I am apart of.  Yours sounds like you troll craigs list or a date.

Danny had is issues and it has taken him awile but he has come full circle and is back on his feet.

Bobby is a good person but was over his head coaching in the WCAC.  He had a great gig going at St Andrews and should have stayed there. 

As for recruiting, see how many of his players from perfomance were recruited?  If you kow lacrosse and how it works (did work before the changes) you would have seen at all the recruiting tournaments played in the fall that there were no college coaches at the performance games.  They were all at VLC, Crabs, Blackwolf, Madlax etc. games that have the players.

Bobby is a good coach for the younger player to get him ready for the middle school playing days. 

As for SJC, they won the Championship that took them 3 years and 4 coaches to get back to..  They worked hard through the training SJC has provided them off the field and earned it. 

You must login to report abuse. Close