WCAC Conference Re-Alignment

7/1/2017 11:43:53 AM

Thoughts?????!!!!

http://www.dcsportsfan.com/posts/582813-wcac-announces-re-alignment-expansion/

Beginning the Fall of 2018, the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference’s football teams will compete in two divisions. Each division will have its own playoffs and championship game.

The Capital Division will be composed of Bishop McNamara, DeMatha, Gonzaga, Our Lady of Good Counsel, and St. John’s.

The Metro Division will include Archbishop Carroll, Bishop Ireton, Bishop O’Connell, Paul VI, and St. Mary’s Ryken.

Schools are able to compete across divisions and maintain long-standing rivalries and major conference games. The composition of schools in the divisions will be revisited every two years.

WCAC Commissioner Steve Colantuoni says that “this is an opportunity for WCAC schools to play national, regional, and local schedules within as well as outside the conference. It provides a flexibility that best serves our student-athletes and our member schools.”

Dr. Tom Curry, Head of School at Bishop Ireton and outgoing chair of the WCAC board, says “the board has taken strides this year along with the new commissioner to come to a unanimous agreement about the new structure.” Along with Bishop O’Connell and Paul VI, Bishop Ireton’s football team returns to the conference under this new structure.

There are no plans currently for other sports to compete in the same two divisions, although the conference is open to exploring that in future.

Dr. Dan McMahon, principal of DeMatha and incoming chair of the WCAC board, says that “this organization of the league allows us to preserve historical ties and serve our students well.”

The WCAC is also adding a new school. The Heights, a boys’ school in Montgomery County, will be joining the conference in the 2017-18 year in all of its sports. Together, Colantuoni and the heads of schools see this addition as part of a vision for possible continued expansion of the league.

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: WCAC Conference Re-Alignment

7/1/2017 11:48:13 AM
@DeMathaPride

Finally! The WCAC gets it right. My only question is what took so long? But this is the only sensible move for the WCAC and probably saved some of the football programs from dropping off the map. I can't wait until 2018!

default avatar

7/1/2017 5:31:12 PM
@DeMathaPride

Good move!

7/2/2017 12:20:37 PM
@DeMathaPride

What on earth took so long?  I think that is a great idea.  Only question I have is if there will be an option to rise/fall based on performance and if a school changes their level of emphasis on football.

interested by the addition of the Heights, maybe the conference can snag Pallotti and GP, which are two Catholic schools not that far away.  And what about PJPG in Woodbridge?

default avatar

Re: Re: WCAC Conference Re-Alignment

7/2/2017 2:40:56 PM
@FrankCurry

Agree with Pallotti....not so sure about Prep. I think it is a good fit for football but I believe Prep considers themselves an "elite" school. Not a good match as far as the other stuff. GP is in an interesting place in football....too big for IAC but yet not a great fit with WCAC. 

default avatar

7/3/2017 6:44:27 AM
@FrankCurry

If they could snag those programs what division do you think they will be put in?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: WCAC Conference Re-Alignment

7/3/2017 9:53:45 AM
@tomslick88

@tomslick

I was told by a parent at the school that they asked Pallotti and after mulling the idea they ultimately decided against it. They would have competed in the "B" division for football just like they do in the MIAA. One concern was that has been no decision on if the conference was splitting into divisions for all sports and they just don't have the resources and depth to compete across the board in boys sports. The school only has 500 students with a 50/50 split. Most of the boys that compete in athletics play more than one sport. It's probably somehwere between 100-150 boys that compete and that's just not enough to really compete. Football has about 35-40 varsity players and routinely dress 10+ JV players for games. Baseball didn't field a JV team this season for lack of players. It's much worse on the girls side. Another concern was travel for weekday games. Where they are now, all but 1 school is about 30 minutes away. Travel schedules, expenses, lost classroom time would definitely change making trips to Ryken, Ireton, O'Connell, Paul 6, etc.     

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: WCAC Conference Re-Alignment

7/3/2017 5:11:48 PM
@foodforthought

Thats asking a lot, completely understand... 

default avatar

7/5/2017 9:50:58 AM
@FrankCurry

Well, Frank my friend, I refer to your comments of 6/18:  "I'd be highly surprised, It really makes no sense for either the Heights or the WCAC". to  the above:  " interested by the addition of The Heights".    

With the The Heights not entering as a football-playing school, in my opinion it makes a lot of sense for both the league and the school.     It may be too much of a leap initially for The Heights, and they are going to take their lumps in some sports, but they should get a little credit for making the move.     

default avatar

7/5/2017 10:42:24 AM
@ANYONEBUTWVU

To you last sentence, some questions:

1. Why not wait a year? Yeah, the talks have been going on for many months, but why make this a go for an academic year less than 2 months away? This softens what will be a painful first step into the WCAC by giving all programs an opportunity to up their games over the course of a full year before entering the league. 

2. What sports aren't they going to take some lumps in other than maybe lacrosse and soccer? Basketball is going to be ugly for them. ABC may have just gone from being the worst to the second worst program in the WCAC for hoops simply by the Heights signing up. And wrestling could be painful to watch. This is a program that lost to some of the worst of the worst in the sport last year. And now they have to up against the likes of OLGC?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: WCAC Conference Re-Alignment

7/6/2017 7:36:15 AM
@NewDC_Jon

Good points Sir Jon.   I was a bit surprised when I first heard The Heights was being offered membership that it was effective this coming school year also.   I figured it would be for the 18-19 school year.  A year of preparation would certainly be beneficial, no matter how long they have been planning for this.  I'm told their athletic department was fully behind starting this year and not waiting. 

I think The Heights may be more competitive in the Spring sports to start.   Their baseball and tennis teams are ok, in addition to soccer and lacrosse.  Their lacrosse team members can get a bit chesty, a lot of their players think they belong in the WCAC right now, but that will only last as long as the first time they lose a game in the league by 18-5.

As far as basketball, I agree there will be many long Tuesday and Friday nights this winter in the conference for them.    I'm not familiar with their wrestling program at all, but GC runs the WCAC in that sport most years.     

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WCAC Conference Re-Alignment

7/6/2017 12:54:26 PM
@ANYONEBUTWVU

It's the wrestling one that worries me for these Heights kids. 195 pounds can mean different things and a 195 pounder OLGC wrestler is a very different thing than a 195 pound Heights wrestler - and the same is true in every weight class. And, while OLGC is great, SJC and Gonzaga are no slouches either. I do not think that any kid is going out to hurt someone on the mat, but the kids that the Heights rolls out there are going to be in for a long 6 minutes (not that many matches will go that long) in every in-conference dual meet. 

7/6/2017 12:33:30 PM
@ANYONEBUTWVU

Mi amigo WVU,

I did say both those comments, and I still stand by both.

1.  It makes little sense for either conference.  The WCAC does not need non-football playing members, and due to the Heights size, mission and level of sports emphasis they will be probably be at the bottom of the conference (or near it).  Not meaning to cast shade, I hope the boys prove me wrong (for their sake - I remember losing to Dematha JV by about a 100 points, and it still hurts).

2. I am interested about the Heights joining - this comment being post confirmation - because it could mean a couple things.  The Heights could be about to drop a bunch of money and emphasis onto their sports.  Or, in the back of my mind, the WCAC is trying to set the stage for adding enough schools to go to A/B divisions for all sports - hence my other questions about Pallotti, GP, and PJPG. 

To rebut your last statement, I will only give the Heights props for the move if they do it correctly, by supporting their players and teams without selling out their values.  DC doesn't need another sports factory.

7/2/2017 12:23:04 PM
@DeMathaPride

I also wonder what this will do to the Va Catholic schools in the VISAA football playoffs, as in the past they only let teams compete that did not play their own championship game.

7/2/2017 9:21:49 AM

Great move. Finally some good decisions being made!

default avatar

7/3/2017 9:55:54 AM

Interesting move we'll see how it plays out but two questions...

1. Will there still be a 4 team playoff now for each division? Personally, I believe there should be two separate championship games for the top 2 regular season seeds in each division. Entering the playoffs as the 4 seed with a 1-3 division record is hard to sell.

2. How will the cross-divison matchups work? These teams moved back into the WCAC so they don't have to face the likes of DM, GZ, GC, MAC, and SJC, and the only "historical rival" would be Carroll vs. any of the top tier teams. I still think they should have to cross divisions for at least 1 game, maybe 2, so there are a minimum 5 "conference" games.

default avatar

7/3/2017 11:02:37 AM

Nice move..  they might have taken a page out from DCIAA on how they did this and saw that it was working..

default avatar

7/5/2017 9:40:10 AM

Ummm....  I believe I called The Heights joining the WCAC back in January.    

default avatar

7/5/2017 10:36:59 AM
@ANYONEBUTWVU

Seems Scoop Bradley got scooped by you WVU. 

7/6/2017 12:34:51 PM
@ANYONEBUTWVU

CLAP....CLAP......CLAP.....happy?

You must login to report abuse. Close