default avatar

Question concering football vaction

7/27/2017 3:53:16 AM

Hi everyone

I'm from germany and once in a while we like to do some football vaction. So last time we where in the south had a great time and this time we are arround DC. I saw that you have the last regular season game is on Nov. 18th. My question would be if there are any Highschool playoff games or state finals arround Thanksgiving?

Thanks a lot in advance!

best Mic

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Question concering football vaction

7/30/2017 1:41:07 AM
@ilmmic

The WCAC semi finals are around then-possibly the finals.  Arguably these may be the two best teams in the Mid Atlantic U. S.  Both Maryland and VA will have early rounds of playoff games also.  Actually, should be an excellent time to see high school ball here.

By the way I've seen both Dortmund (at Signal Iduna) and Bayern (at the Allianz) play and wish more Americans could experience German futbal.  I will make the argument that the passion is the best in the world (80,000 and 75,000 pakced fanatical stadiums for both) and the quality-Bayern will challenge for the Champions League again this year.

I love your country.  Welcome back to the U. S.  D.C. is one of our most beautiful cities.

default avatar

Re: Re: Question concering football vaction

7/31/2017 2:14:59 AM
@BigDrop

Thanks man!

That's the the answer I was looking for :-) Thanks for helping out here. So I guess that' here (http://www.dcsportsfan.com/groups/131290-wcac-boys-football) later on in the season the games will be anounced?

Wow so you choose def. two of our most iconic clubs and stadiums. I hope you enjoyed your stay here ... so I'm from Munich actually and season ticket holder so I hope you had a good time in munich and enjoyed the beer :-)

So thank's again

best Mic

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Question concering football vaction

7/31/2017 11:05:52 PM
@ilmmic

Munchen!  Absolutely love your city:  my wife and I were there last December for Xmas Market in the Marien Platz but I've been ten or more times since the '80's.  (I've had a relationship with a German manufacturer in Freiburg for several decades and have also sold all over Germany with 50 or more trips total.)  I've probably driven almost every km of autobahn while also returning several times to the Kaiserstuhl (I'm drink wine), Baiersbronn and Garmische/Partenkirchen.  I must tell you:  from thirty or more years of doing business in Germany (I am retired now.) my last trip to Europe will be to Munich and the Bavarian Alps once more.  

I also have too many opinions:  when you return to the U. S. and D. C. please consider staying on Pennsylvania avenue (i.e. the Willard or the Marriott).  They are expensive but are on one of the Great avenues of the world.  The entire Mall from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial is extraordinarily beautiful-about a 3km walk in each direction.  The Georgetown waterfront is very nice with an excellent restaurant, Fiola Mare, which is generally similar to Munich's Tantris in quality and expense.  DC has a great deal of character and feels very European.  Part of it looks very much like Munich.  As Munich has so much that is beautiful and interesting within 2 or so hours, so does D. C.:  Old Town Alexandria, Virginia wine country (in Fauquier and Loudoun county which are similar to Baiersbronn in countryside), Annapolis, the Eastern shore of Maryland including St. Michael's and Chestertown, Williamsburg and north to Philadelphai (Lancaster and New Hope).  

Munich has a great subway.  D. C.'s is good but not as extensive as Munich's.  You'll probably arrive at Dulles airport and it is about 50-55 km downtown where the subway is extensive.  (But unlike Munich, it has not opened to the airport yet.)  Garage parking can be expensive,  US $25-35 a day.

Have a great trip and enjoy the D. C. area!  I will toast you with a Spatburgunder tomorrow night...

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question concering football vaction

8/1/2017 1:35:51 AM
@BigDrop

WOW! You can definitely claim that you have been more seen from germany than to most people from there. So as a wine drinker you hopefully also discovered the beautifull winestreet (Weinstrasse)  with the winemakers along the Reihn river.

Thank you so much for all the great recommondations this is super friendly and this is reason why it's nice visiting your country. People helping you out and you can have a nice chat. Acually we are staying in the Marriott, thx to hotwire is was affordable. We will definitey try out some of your restaurant recommondations and the walk from capitol sounds also super nice. On Thursday we will have a turkey before the redskins game to make a real turkey bowl out of it. In total we will have 3 NFL games, on sunday we watching the eagles vs bears and on monday ravens vs texans.

So thanks again for your help and kindness I wish you a one more last great trip to germany and enjoy your retirement

best Mic

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question concering football vaction

8/3/2017 8:39:51 AM
@ilmmic

Thanks, Mic.  Also take a serious look at Central on Pennsylvania avenue about two blocks from your hotel.  Best wishes for your trip.

You must login to report abuse. Close