#builtdifferent?

10/23/2017 10:59:27 AM

Curious what is going on at Dematha these days. That isn't a slight on GC, GZ, or St. J. Those teams came to play and deservedly won those games. After 4 championships though (which is amazing) why are we seeing such a fall off? Again no slight on the teams that have beaten them but DM simply isn't showing up. They aren't being coached well and they aren't playing like a team. When was the last time DM lost 3 games in row? When was the last time they lost 3 games in a seaon. Someone spoke of a mental funk in another forum so how does DM break the funk? I fully support the team and the program I just cant wrap my head around the product that is being put on the field these days

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: #builtdifferent?

10/23/2017 8:47:50 PM
@Observer

you must not have much of a memory...they had 3 losses in bill's last yr, 4 losses in brook's first yr and 3 losses in 2014 (and still won wcac)....your tone sounds like a lot of people when brooks first took over..."they are done", "poorly coached" "will never be the same DM" ect..3 losses and people get irrational ..

Re: Re: #builtdifferent?

10/24/2017 10:17:06 AM
@icetee

To be clear. I was and still am in full support of Brooks. I fully supported him being named head coach because it was time for the program to go in a different direction. The "same DM" you speak of is typically people referencing teams from the 80s, 90s, and early 00s. After those periods it became more about college scholarships then anything else. Thank you for clarifying the season loss totals but when was the last time they had a 3 game losing streak? I never said they are done but they are certainly not being coached well and certainly not playing as a team. How can you explain all of the penalities? Those are preventable. In regards to the team effort, I am still waiting to see it. That was what set the older teams apart. High school football isn't about coaches yelling and screaming on the sidelines. Those antics are for people that don't know any better. High school football is about playing a game with your buddies, battling it out in the "trenches", and remembering/honoring your teams tradition. With the level of coaching and athletes in the DMV there isnt an expectation on my part for DM to win every year. That is unrealisitic. However, what should be expected is that the quality of play matches the quality of talent. Somone has to bridge that gap. 

Re: Re: Re: #builtdifferent?

10/24/2017 11:00:03 AM
@Observer
I am Neutral

Well, as long as I have followed DeMatha or the WCAC for that matter there has been a recurring theme.  Sometimes, there are players and individuals that have a hard time living up to the expectations before them.  It happened last year to SJC.  This year it is happening to the Stags.  Anyway, that is one way to explain the three in a row.

Every year the Stags, myself included, say that they could be the greatest ever.  As statistics would have it, the overwhelming majority of the time we are wrong.  So something has to give, especially when it was probably true for the 2016 team -being the absolute best.  I think that our kids are trying hard this year.  I think that the DeMatha still has the best coach in the league.  Let it marinate and let's see how it all ends up.

The team chemistry is important and I hope that the little brothers can get it together with their backs against the wall.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: #builtdifferent?

10/24/2017 1:46:23 PM
@Observer

I don't disagree with you larger points...but you are making these points off of 1 3-game losing streak..could it jujst be they are injured, playing very talented teams and just having a "bad stretch" of play and confidence? it happens to kids...even dematha kids...

10/23/2017 11:09:29 AM

There is nothing more that I love than seeing DeMatha SQUIRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Maybe next year boys!! LOL

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

10/23/2017 11:30:33 AM
@sjc4life

At the end of the day it is better for the entire league.  All that there is left to do now is hope that Mcnamara and Carroll get on track so its more competition within thw conference.  Hats off to Dematha they hae had a stronghold on the WCAC for a while now.  GC had a run for a minute but nothing like we have seen with Dematha.  In my opinion the entire region has recruited talent that just a couple years ago would have flocked to Dematha, Which is great for the entire area.  Now you have great kids at SJC, Bullis, Wise etc... and not to mention  a few kid in the MIAA.  People now know you do not have to go to dematha to seen and successful.... Its not a coaching issue at all it is the same staff taht won 4 year running....Its just now that are other equally affective coaching staffs finally getting the right kids in place.

P.S.  Go Cadets!!!!

10/23/2017 12:13:36 PM

I have played in and followed the WCAC for years. Last weekend was my first time seeing DM play in person this season. I can honestly say I have never seen so many holes in a DM football team. I saw weakenesses at QB, WR, OL, and by far the greatest weakness is in the secondary. For years, I've seen DM have absolute studs all over the field. What I witnessed Saturday was not the typical DM team from years past. This team will be dangerous come playoff time because of the strong coaching staff. Coach Brooks will have his team ready to go and prime for a championship run.  

10/23/2017 8:15:45 PM
@Cadet4Life
I am Neutral

I think you called it.  We were spoiled with studs in years past and now, not so much.  Sacks are down.  Rushing scores are down.

In years past those two areas alone were the greatest strengths and DeMatha even had a QB that could throw downfield which is a rare occurrence, to be honest.  Beau English might be to blame, also.  I'm not kidding.  Stags got spoiled with Beau so much they might have lost the edge on the ground game.  I think that going into this year they certainly thought that they would be throwing the ball on fades and out routes and it hasn't panned out that way.  

This is not an attempt to put it on Lenhart or Najarian though.  It is too late to try to coach up a QB to play like Beau so close to Halloween but you can still coach up the lines of scrimmage.  DeMatha could probably also use a bruising back like Good Counsel and SJC have, but instead we are down to slashers and speed guys.  Now the defensive secondary is going to have to figure something out, or maybe Deno will find a scheme.  The Stags aren't eating up the clock like they used to because all of the Big Four are just that up front.  Gonzaga, Good Counsel, and SJC all have big physical linemen pretty much just like the Stags...

This season comes down to two games against BMc and AbC.  I'm confident that Coach Brooks isn't going out like this and neither is Deno.  Squirming a little, yes.  Panic, no.  Stags can still win four straight and avenge two losses.  They have all the incentive in the world to do it.  We are all about to find out what this crop of Stags is made of.

default avatar

10/24/2017 2:12:36 PM

I think a problem that DeMatha is having is that you have kids who are more concerned about getting a scholarship or how many scholarships vs winnng the games. They are a bunch of fingers instead of a closed fist. The coach has to find a way to bring the kids back together.

default avatar

10/24/2017 5:09:09 PM
@mrmichaelny

this is always the easy answer when DM loses or just don't look as dominant...I think you are reading too much into a 3 game stretch of poor football....they have issues. but I don't think they are related to this...IMO

You must login to report abuse. Close