SJC -- Hawaii Campus

4/3/2018 2:44:28 PM
BeltwayBob
4/3/2018 2:44:28 PM Report Abuse

Sol-Jay Maiava, a sophomore quarterback at Kahuku High School in Hawaii, will be transferring to St. John’s College High School in Washington, D.C., for his junior year.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound quarterback is set to compete for the starting role at St. John’s following the graduation of current senior quarterback Kevin Doyle, an Arizona signee. Maiava is coming from Kahuku High, well-known for its football program that is reported to have churned out 17 NFL players since 1970.

“I am not thinking that I am going to start right away,” Maiava said about coming to St. John’s. “Everyone still has to play for the job. They just gave me an opportunity to come and compete, and they just threw it all out on the table and I just decided to take it.”

Read more here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2018/04/03/hawaiian-high-school-star-qb-sol-jay-maiava-is-transferring-to-st-johns-in-d-c/?utm_term=.c07621ad6b1e

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
NewDC_Jon
4/3/2018 4:40:54 PM Report Abuse
@BeltwayBob

Wow, I cannot believe WaPo published an article about this. It doesn't really seem newsworthy at all. All that happened was a high school junior moved 4,700 miles to play HS football at a school where his uncle was recently hired (certainly based on his merits and not on his nephew's ability) to be the QB coach. And, his entire family jumped at this opportunity with no mention of possible employment or anything of the sort. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

I mean, I assume kids transfer to schools 4,700 miles away from their home for their junior season of high school football all the time, no? Why doesn't WaPo write an article about every kid that transfers from Hawaii to the mainland to play football in high school. There would certainly be millions of articles to write. And, doesn't every high school in the US recruit kids from 4,000+ miles away? And doesn't every high school in the nation hire a new quarterbacks coach shortly before landing said new QB coach's nephew? And aren't all applicants to high schools accepted to their school of choice while visiting the school? That happens all the time, no? I hear that Gonzaga inadvertantly "accepts" folks they mistake as visitors who are just cutting down Eye St all the time. This clearly isn't newsworthy at all. 

Either way, best of luck to this young man. I hope he recovers from his jet lag shortly after settling in. 

JoeT716
4/4/2018 7:23:44 AM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

You mad?...lol...you still have your QB for 2-3 more years (is he too old to play as a senior?)...Aloha.

JoeT716
4/4/2018 7:38:50 AM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

Maybe you should read the article (I'm pretty sure the Jesuits taught you some reading comprehension skills)...this was his SECOND visit to the school and he obviously applied after his first visit a few months back. And you still can be the runners-up (which is the first loser).

NewDC_Jon
4/4/2018 10:24:54 AM Report Abuse
@JoeT716

1. I have no affiliation with Gonzaga whatsoever although I do appreciate how WCAC schools such as them, Seton, DeMatha, BI and others try to conduct their business on a daily basis. None are without their warts, but none are the massive flaming wart on the WCAC that SJC is. 

2. At no point did I indicate that he was accepted on his first visit. So, take your own advice but apply it to my post. 

3. You are the poster child for SJC: undservedly arrogant, comically stupid (that came raging through right away), and willing to celebrate unearned victories. Congrats. 

JoeT716
4/4/2018 11:57:37 AM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

Wow...you are 😑...is it because you miss your dear friend kjj who ran away and hid rather than face the successes of the "dumpster fire"...lmao...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

NewDC_Jon
4/4/2018 10:49:55 PM Report Abuse
@JoeT716

Nah man, not mad. Disappointed that a school would sell its soul and screw over its larer student-body by sacrificing academics for athletics. But not mad.

By the way, what grownup uses emojis? Only serves to validate my previous comment: SJC fans are the biggest cucks in the world.

JoeT716
4/5/2018 12:21:38 AM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

Well I'm disappointed that you don't check what you post...what does "larer" mean? πŸ˜‚

JoeT716
4/5/2018 12:23:16 AM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

Shocking that you are a meat inspector...🀣

ANYONEBUTWVU
4/5/2018 1:10:32 PM Report Abuse
@BeltwayBob

"They just threw it all out on the table and I just decided to take it."   

Doesn't have the ring of "Men for Others" or "Advance Always", but I can see it stone over the stadium entrance or Gallagher gym.    

silverbullet
4/5/2018 1:45:50 PM Report Abuse
@BeltwayBob

While it’s slightly embarrassing that SJC has to travel the earth to find a starting QB every year, the Hawaii transfer will be the 4th or 5th best transfer into the WCAC this coming season. A couple of the MIAA programs are experiencing an exodus this season to the WCAC and most want nothing to do with SJC. GC, GZ and DM are all getting better transfers IMO. 

tomslick88
4/6/2018 6:40:27 AM Report Abuse
@silverbullet

Who is leaving MIAA?

silverbullet
4/6/2018 8:10:14 AM Report Abuse
@tomslick88

McDonogh’s HC just left. The school is de-emphasizing football. So, a couple from there are heading to the WCAC. Another school has a few of their top players heading south. It’s not official yet, so not going to do names or schools other than McD. I will say that, at this point, all of the Top 4 WCAC’s have a very good argument as to being the league favorite for 2018. 

DM is going to have a very interesting QB battle with the kid from the end of last season and the sophomore. Everything else is there. They’ll be big and fast.

GZ will have the best QB in the league. They’ll also have some power 5 kids spread around the DL/OL and at the skills. Two power 5 RB’s helps too. 

GC will have the best OL and LB unit. I’m very interested to see them in 2018. 

SJC is loaded. The new QB will have a slower learning curve than Doyle. He’s not as polished, but a better athlete. That DL is going to be a problem for opposing teams. 

tomslick88
4/6/2018 2:10:29 PM Report Abuse
@silverbullet

Bet!

sjc4life
4/3/2018 4:43:24 PM Report Abuse

The rich get richer. 

tomslick88
4/3/2018 9:01:39 PM Report Abuse
@sjc4life

What did they do with Coach Jabali Smith?

NewDC_Jon
4/3/2018 9:38:32 PM Report Abuse
@tomslick88

Coach Smith has been invited to return as soon as he has a nephew with offers from U of Michigan that SJC can recruit. Until then he has been relegated to coach at places that hire coaches who earn their jobs on the basis of merit. He is in good company - the likes of Bobby Horsey and David Bell will welcome Coach Smith into their fraternity with open arms. 

JoeT716
4/4/2018 7:27:20 AM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

How's that working out for the SJC lax champs?...Book him Dan-o.

NewDC_Jon
4/4/2018 10:29:27 AM Report Abuse
@JoeT716

One WCAC lacrosse championship in how many years and you're celebrating like you guys have some sort of tradition? God SJC fans are the biggest cucks in the world.

Celebrate SJC's women's hoops or field hockey programs. They are literally the only athletics programs that aren't completely dirty. But I am sure Plank will figure out a way to chase off Scribner and Kelly for another Trig or someone like him. 

JoeT716
4/4/2018 11:45:54 AM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

Lots of rings being won on Military Road...and more to come.😁

skiboy
4/4/2018 2:02:03 PM Report Abuse
@JoeT716

I believe Horsey's team is a quite a bit better than STC lacrosse team so it's working out pretty well for him. 

JoeT716
4/4/2018 10:04:07 PM Report Abuse
@skiboy

You might believe that but SJC is ranked higher and has already beaten Landon and Prep...so let's see how Bullis does vs those teams.

skiboy
4/4/2018 10:32:27 PM Report Abuse
@JoeT716

They may be ranked higher in the post right now, but it is the Post. All national Rankings have bullis higher. We'll find out Friday. But Bullis plays a way more difficult schedule than SJC. 

JoeT716
4/4/2018 11:09:49 PM Report Abuse
@skiboy

Agree with you about the Post...and I know comparing scores can be deceiving, but St.Johns did beat Prep...who beat Gonzaga...who beat Bullis...so I think it's safe to say that Bullis- SJC would be a great game between two of the top teams in the area (along with Gonzaga, Landon and Prep). I just think it's obvious that St.Johns has the right coach...winning the WCAC championship last year and beating Landon and Prep this year are all firsts for the Cadets...no other SJC lacrosse coach has ever done any of the three.

JoeT716
4/6/2018 9:19:12 PM Report Abuse
@skiboy

Bullis losing to Landon doesn't mean SJC is the better team but it does justify them being ranked higher.

DCrider
4/11/2018 9:27:13 PM Report Abuse
@skiboy

Lol that Bullis plays a “way more difficult schedule” than SJC, have a look again at the schedules.

NewDC_Jon
4/11/2018 11:14:30 PM Report Abuse
@DCrider

Yep, took a look. Bullis absolutely plays a way more difficult schedule than SJC. Sweet comment though. That said, I look forward to Bullis lax players illustrating their racism yet again this year via video. 

DCrider
4/12/2018 9:37:36 AM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

Way more difficult huh? Hill is great, otherwise a lot of common opponents, st. Mary’s beat McDonogh, and Bullis plays a lot of soft public schools...you can say it’s “way” better but there is little evidence.

NewDC_Jon
4/15/2018 2:33:29 AM Report Abuse
@DCrider

DCrider, Bullis has about 18 games on their schedule. SJC has about 15-16. Bullis scheduled some pushovers like QO but has no easy games in their league. The same cannot be same for SJC. So yeah, there is a ton of evidence. SJC plays the likes of QO several times within their own league in the form of BI, DJO, and SMR.

But great comment otherwise. 

DCrider
4/15/2018 3:09:24 PM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

Keep the blinders on buddy. Only SSSA and Episcopal are the only IAC teams SJ doesn’t play. No point going on with a troll. Most others who read this thread (granted there are probably very few) can look a tough those schedules and see aside from common opponents, they are of similar difficulty.

Non-shared quality opponents for Bullis: Hill, SSSA, Episcopal.

Non-Shared Quality opponents for SJ: St. Mary’s DeMatha, Paul VI, STAB.

diego
4/4/2018 8:12:39 PM Report Abuse

Agreed  SJC is dirty dirty dirty.  No way to be proud of what they're doing.  No shame 

JoeT716
4/4/2018 10:16:43 PM Report Abuse
@diego

πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’ͺ🏿πŸ’ͺ🏿πŸ’ͺ🏿😑😑😑

NewDC_Jon
4/4/2018 10:53:33 PM Report Abuse
@diego

Only those who respond to comments with emojis could possibly be stupid enough to be proud of what is going on at SJC. 

JoeT716
4/5/2018 12:17:37 AM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

Jealousy is an ugly thing...πŸ€’πŸ€‘πŸ˜˜

NewDC_Jon
4/11/2018 11:13:08 PM Report Abuse
@JoeT716

So is ignorance and lack of self-awareness cuck. 

JoeT716
4/5/2018 12:34:14 AM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

http://youtu.be/O71fetlkCZo    Football, Lacrosse, Baseball (dynasty), Wrestling (back-to-back)...lots to be proud of.

NewDC_Jon
4/11/2018 11:12:45 PM Report Abuse
@JoeT716

How many upperclass transfers on that wrestling team? We both know the answer. Those who celebrate purchased high school championships are the saddest folks on the face of the earth. Oh, and how many jobs did the SJC baseball coach provide some of the parents of his recruits? Deadspin ought write an article on that one. 

NewDC_Jon
4/15/2018 2:42:38 AM Report Abuse
@JoeT716

JoeCuck, waiting for a response - do you know how many upperclass transfers were on that wrestling team? I know the answer. I also know it includes a wrestler every coach in the WCAC considers the biggest cheater and dirtiest wrestler they've ever encountered. Sad how you'll never get it. WCAC championships used to be earned. 

dcnative10
4/5/2018 7:56:35 AM Report Abuse
@diego

No different from any other WCAC, MIAA, and other private schools that prioritize athletics.

Every school recruits, holds kids back, and does what they can to WIN. Lacrosse, football, etc etc it is a common practice and it's an epidemic that will never be solved in this area because we are at a point of no return. 

JoeT716
4/5/2018 10:53:19 AM Report Abuse
@dcnative10

And when the results are overflowing enrollment and a record number of applications it sounds like a good business decision.

NewDC_Jon
4/11/2018 11:10:55 PM Report Abuse
@JoeT716

Applications are actually down. It's why their acceptance rate was higher in 2017. Sweet comment though. 

fatbear78
4/5/2018 2:18:54 AM Report Abuse

Yet they can't even field a JV Softball and couldn't find room for the girls to play on campus? Title 9 anyone? 

JoeT716
4/5/2018 10:54:37 AM Report Abuse
@fatbear78

Who are you talking about?

NewDC_Jon
4/11/2018 11:10:16 PM Report Abuse
@JoeT716

JoeT, for being the posterboy cuck SJC fan you should know this - SJC's AD told the softball program they couldn't field a JV team this year. And it wasn't for lack of interest. 

fatbear78
4/13/2018 11:04:23 PM Report Abuse
@NewDC_Jon

Title 9?

JoeT716
4/13/2018 8:21:55 AM Report Abuse

Wow...you are the poster "boy" for angry, jealous, frustrated SJC haters. Must be painful to see all the championships being won by the despised Cadets. Here's how many current championship teams reside on Military Road πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†. And your "knowledge" of all things St.John's is hilarious...do you have a relative who works there?πŸ˜‰ And don't forget to give my best to your "friend" kjj for me. πŸ’‹

New Comment

You must login to report abuse. Close