Attention SportsFans!

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent closing of schools and the spring sports season, we will be temporarily shutting down the site to make small changes and improvements for the fall.

As always, thank you for your patronage over the past 15 years and we look forward to seeing you online when this is over. Any questions can be directed to editor@dcsporsfan.com.

Sincerely,
TheSportsFanNetwork.com

Gilman Coach leaves? McGregor to St. Frances

1/9/2016 2:33:14 PM
afros
1/9/2016 2:33:14 PM

Wonder how that will impact their players...same league division....right?

prettyboy
1/9/2016 5:03:06 PM

It's been talked about for a while on the baltimore sun message board.

gilman brought in a new headmaster I believe two years ago and he and Poggi have clearly disagreed on a few issues surrounding the state of their football program.

would be a big blow to the hounds in the short term if this rumor is true. It's been a pretty well know fact Poggi was very generous with his money in helping kids make obtaining a Gilman a reality. 

again i don't think long term there football program would suffer, their alums care a lot about the football program and it is part of the schools rich history. 

if it is true, it will he a very highly sought after HS coaching gig. 

NewDC_Jon
1/11/2016 12:59:19 PM

Likely to kick myself for asking this question - but what does this mean for Bauccia?

MetroAreaBallers
1/9/2016 7:42:10 PM

No longer a rumor, its a done deal. 

billbobaggins
1/10/2016 10:24:06 PM

I haven't heard that the deal was done. the big man has not confirmed 

MetroAreaBallers
1/10/2016 11:51:10 PM

Done deal my friend. No rumor. Its been confirmed, just not made public yet. That ship has sailed. 

skinsfan24
1/11/2016 11:00:35 AM

What is the exact rumor ? Poggi is leaving Gilman ? McGregor is going to St. Frances ? In what capacity ?

MetroAreaBallers
1/11/2016 8:59:34 PM

Poggi, Mcgregor, Bauccia, Russel etc. Will be leaving Gilman for St. Francis next month. The deal is done. It's confirmed.

skinsfan24
1/12/2016 8:48:12 AM

Yup . Spoke to SFA . Done deal . Wow !!

Bebe Kids
1/11/2016 11:39:10 PM

This will not change the power of the league for several years, if at all.  In fact St. Frances Academy should not even be in the A Division.  They have only been successful in the C division.  They tried to step up a few years ago and have barely maintain mediocrity.

prettyboy
1/12/2016 9:37:54 AM

Bebbe Kids: Poggi has a ton of money and is extremely generous. They will lure kids to Saint Frances. Just as Friendship Collegiate a few years ago came out of no where, I expect Saint Frances to get very good pretty damn quickly. I don't think they will get to DeMatha's level ever as SFA is a pretty small school but the coaching will be thre. The MIAA A conference just got a very interesting.....

kjj348
1/12/2016 10:27:05 AM

I literally know nothing about St. Frances, but I will say this generally: It seems like several schools in the last decade and a half have tried this model and most, if not all, have dealt with issues directly related to the emphasis put on football. GC was one of the earlier ones in this area who decided to build a program quickly by bringing in talent  and a big name coach due to the generosity (for lack of a better term) of some beneficiary. Then, you started hearing a lot of grumblings from alumni and parents and it caused no shortage of in-fighting and strife that clearly has negatively effected GC in the past three years or so. Red Lyon academy or whatever its predecesor was had the same issue in Delaware (obviously on a much larger, more shady scale than anything GC ever did) to the point where it was an issue throughout the entire school, not just the football team. Then you had FCA which literally exploded as one of the best in the area, just to pitter out nearly as quick. Assuming Poggi pulls this off at St. F, how long until the same sort of issue arises seeing as how the school has existed without the aid of a powerhouse football program. 

I don't include DM on this because while they have their own internal issues, they have had an established program that took a lot of time to build and their issues aren't the byproduct of alumni being upset with how things have changed, but rather are more likely to be some parent whose expecations for their son never panned out, got disgruntled, and took their kid  to another school, say.... macnamara, all while bashing DM on the way out.

Falcon83
1/12/2016 11:19:52 AM

I dont know anything about SFA either.  But I do know about GC.  Milloy was hired with the encouragment of several alumni (2001).  Some names you would recognize and others you wouldn't.  It was largely done as a measure to ensure that at least one prime athletic aspect of the school was enhanced by the time the move to Olney was completed.  The football improvements started imediately as planned. By the third year, the Falcons were making noise and had moved to #2 in the WCAC in football with kids that were in the building and a few who were attracted by a legendary coach.  There was no money being thrown around until about the time Dancel showed up (2007), six years later.  That certainly helped.  My point is that six years isnt "immediate" in terms of the money.  Can't say that there havent been some issues the last few years.  But not sure I would call it "strife" or that it had a lot to do with any alum.  I do think it is apparent that they have hired a new president who thinks the football program has served its purpose now that the school is established and is heading the ship in another direction in terms of resources to reach the next plateau.  That is what some people dont agree with - as they see it as being one at the expense of the other.  When it is really just an arms race for facilities or aide. It's not the end of the world either way. These things have a way of ebbing and flowing regardless of what school you are talking about.

kjj348
1/12/2016 12:02:03 PM

i think you missed the point of my post. instead of arguing over the semantics of my word-choice, I want to point out to you that the basis of what I said was that when a school tries to quickly build a program by bringing in talent and a big name coach, people who have been around the school for longer often get chirpy and disgruntled. and to go from one of the doormats of the wcac to getting into the championship game 3 years later and staying there for the better part of a decade while becoming a national power is a pretty quick turnaround.

Falcon83
1/12/2016 12:13:13 PM

You are probably right about that.  Except, in this situation, there wasnt really anyone around the program long enough to care when Milloy got there.  He attracted a guy - who had a kid - six years into a fairly homogeneous growth and marketing plan for the school of which athletics was a part. The plan was to "matter" in the WCAC.  I dont think - in fact I know - winning it four times in a row and getting on ESPN was in the relm at the time. A lot has happened since the plan was hatched.  They were in position to take advantage of it while they could and the mission support was there from the other side of the building.  Not really arguing with you.  But this is far different than the skirmishes that break out out at programs with a long history.  

Falcon83
1/12/2016 11:40:12 PM

"not" in the relm.

Magnum3D
1/12/2016 6:45:59 PM
This post has been removed.
kjj348
1/12/2016 9:54:36 PM

that is literally the most confusing thing I have ever read.

Magnum3D
1/13/2016 8:06:45 AM
donnyenglish
1/13/2016 8:26:55 AM

Magnum, not sure why my name keeps coming up whenever you post. Leave me and my kid out of your issues with Dematha or KJJ348.  I have always had nothing but good things to say about your kid. If I have something to say to you about you or your kid, I will tell you myself.  You do the same.  

Magnum3D
1/13/2016 9:23:56 AM
kjj348
1/13/2016 12:40:07 PM

you really need some help man. no one is talking about anyone's sons on this thread. yuo seems a little tense. they have prescriptions for that kind of stuff.

NewDC_Jon
1/13/2016 1:43:27 PM

Yeah, I for one don't understand why he thinks you need to learn how to spell the words, "McNamara Counselor." 

But congrats on the job with SFA, KJJ. 

kjj348
1/13/2016 2:32:52 PM

thanks man. but wouldn't those just be the words of a true psycho? looks like we need to fire up our detective agency again.

Magnum3D
1/13/2016 2:54:36 PM
kjj348
1/13/2016 3:07:27 PM

I found black mold lurking behind a toilet once when I was working construction during summers in college. it was gross. actually, it was a little hairy too. or was it harry? i don't know; you have me confused. also, i thought you were saying you were AF1. also, the counselor thing from dcjon was meant to point out your lack of a comma, which ironically, you then used after bozo. your posts are becoming a bit more coherent though. kudos.

Magnum3D
1/13/2016 4:03:00 PM
kjj348
1/13/2016 4:26:12 PM

no way man that is idiotic; didn't anyone ever tell you not to divulge your identity to strangers on the internet? I have no clue who you are other than some dude whose distaste for DM and puncuation rivals that of my own; albeit without the same level of understanding i have for both. also, your incoherent ramblings lead me to believe you may be somewhat unstable, so I would rather not wake up to you one morning at my house. i would also posit that divulging your identity to total strangers on a website is the exact opposite of behavior expected from grown adults/men. I will admit that i'm pretty soft right now, but thats because I like pizza and dislike lifting weights now that I don't have to. however, I don't think that was your meaning. luckily for all on this site, I don't have to figure out what you would consider makes one hard. 

Magnum3D
1/13/2016 6:41:29 PM
kjj348
1/13/2016 8:20:36 PM

Bye, Felicia! but in all seriousness, i doubt that. you will probably just keep reading without commenting.

Magnum3D
1/13/2016 8:23:28 PM
kjj348
1/13/2016 8:33:01 PM

and here i thought you wouldn't post again. but then again, i also thought they taught more tolerance than that in cambridge... 

NewDC_Jon
1/13/2016 9:16:03 PM

One would think that someone who claims to be a doctor, Fulbright scholar, and Crimson alum wouldn't resort to middle school playground style homphobic slurs. But then again one would think that someone also wouldn't lie on his Twitter handle about being a Harvard grad, Fulbright scholar and a doctor. 

Magnum3D
1/15/2016 9:05:18 AM
silverbullet
1/13/2016 7:00:07 PM

...and just like that kjj348 takes the lead for 2016 post of the year. 

Magnum3D
1/13/2016 8:30:43 PM
silverbullet
1/13/2016 9:56:13 PM

I'm ready to rock and roll whenever you want, Mag. I have no idea what DeMatha discussion you want to have with me, but your pretty harmless so why not, right? May as well get this in before your account gets deleted for dropping slurs on a high school sports board to show yourself how tough you are. Your move....

kjj348
1/14/2016 12:06:53 PM

i'm curious what cards you would be putting on the table as DM won the championship. my guess is, since we are talking cards here (and i prefer texas hold em), I am betting your hand is a 7-2... actually seeing as how you are a macnamara guy it is probably 6-4. 

NewDC_Jon
1/15/2016 1:52:25 PM

Can we please give Big Brother three massive "hip-hip-hoorays" for the blanket deletion of all of Magnum's posts?

Big Brother: I know we may have had some differences in the past (due largely to some posts that may have been influenced by alcohol) but you sir are my hero. You are what all Americans should strive to be. I applaud you for your service to this country and this website. God bless you and your family. 

silverbullet
1/15/2016 3:37:37 PM

I second that.

kjj348
1/15/2016 4:54:49 PM

here here.

Magnum3D
1/18/2016 9:07:38 PM

I requested that my post be removed. No time for this....

NewDC_Jon
1/19/2016 10:33:35 AM

Posts. You mean "posts" - plural. And highly doubtful. 

No time for what? You clearly had time to troll this site again to see who else would comment about your posts getting removed. The only thing you seem busy doing is lying - about being a Harvard graduate - you arent; about being a Rhodes scholar - hilarious; about being a doctor - dear god no; about being a good father - no decent father would overhype ihs kid on a website in the manner in which you do. But I could see how keeping up with all your lies would take up a lot of time. I hope that your leaving this website frees up even more time for your fantastic lies and I look forward to checking in on your Twitter handle every now and again just to see (and share) the comedy that is the life you pretend to lead. 

I can only hope that if your son does get a scholarship to play football in college it is at a school thousands of miles away from you - the less influence you have on any child's life the better. 

BigBully
1/20/2016 8:08:30 AM

He's not the only father on here pumpin his boy.  At least he doesn't have 15 screen names doing it

nomad
1/12/2016 11:42:29 AM

The rate at which kids transfer in Baltimore area is kind of crazy when compared to the DC area. SFA has already scooped up numerous kids from other programs over the past few years (although some turned around and left soon thereafter).  Throw in the fact that Poggi & crew are a known coaching commodity with deep pockets.  Id be willing to bet SFA will move into the top 3 in the MIAA within 2-3 years.

Falcon83
1/12/2016 11:51:30 AM

I dont disagree.  Think about the motives here.  A guy with a pocket full of money to get players needs a place to coach and play a national schedule. Maybe even win a mythical national championship?  His own school - which significantly higher academic requirements - has changed course on him with a new skipper at the helm.  And another school that struggles to keep football players who have grades or a couple of dollars for tuition (mainly from this very same guy?) that needs all the profile enhancement it can get.  It's a match, if his goal is to play and win games Gilman is no longer interested in playing. 

fairfax panther
1/13/2016 7:58:45 AM

Who is the next Gilman coach? Did the entire Gilman staff go to St. Frances?

Falcon83
1/13/2016 8:45:55 PM

I have no clue on that.

smdeagles
1/13/2016 12:40:45 PM

Wow....with McGregor and Poggi SFA will win immediately. Think about it.....you only need a half dozen or so ballers to be relevant in HS football. They may not compete with Gilman next year but will compete with everyone else. Gilman will lose a few kids because of this as well. Hopefully SFA knows what they are getting into. These guys are big time recruiters and professional high school coaches. The football program could easily be bigger than the school in a few years. Not good IMO when the tail starts wagging the dog. 

kjj348
1/13/2016 12:50:25 PM

exactly the type of thing I was bringing up in an earlier post. this could very easily be just as harmful as it is helpful to SFA.

NewDC_Jon
1/13/2016 1:21:50 PM

It's a legit concern. You see it all the time - as much for basketball as for football: St Patrick in NJ, what is going on at Montrose now, what happened at Harker, what nearly happened at Flint Hill. In all those cases a coach (or outside boosters) running the show, no matter how deep-pocketed, greatly damaged the school. Not saying it will happen at SFA - by all accounts Poggi seems much more upstanding than the likes of Boyle, Vetter, and others - but long-term it isn't sustainable. 

nomad
1/13/2016 1:42:09 PM

The next few years will be VERY interesting.   Its gonna be a feeding frenzy in terms of recruiting.  SFA, Franklin & Dundalk were already ruffling feathers by scooping up Baltimore City kids who normally would have went (or in some cases did) to other MIAA schools.  With Poggi at the helm, I beleieve he will want to make a big splash ASAP. Hide your wife, kids & players!

NewDC_Jon
1/13/2016 1:45:37 PM

Nomad, mind expanding on the Franklin and Dundalk item? Aren't their residency restrictions preventing them from going after kids who live in Baltimore City proper? Got to plead ignorance on this one. 

nomad
1/13/2016 2:34:51 PM

Like any other jurisdiction in MD, all you have to is move (or give the apperence of) within the school boundaries.  I have no specifics, but both schools have been accused of "recruiting" for a few years now.

IMO, its just a byproduct of thier sucess and Baltimore City public school decline in football.  Kids generally want to play for winners and the City public schools havent done so well since Dunbar's run ended.

NewDC_Jon
1/13/2016 5:15:17 PM

Appreciate you sharing - thanks much. 

BigBully
1/13/2016 3:25:01 PM

They are walking into a school where they'll have free reign.  SFA does whatever they want and won't blink an eye.

Just off the top of my head the baseball had to forfeit its whole season

JV football team had to forfeit it's season for using Varsity players

Basketball team took the Alhambra money given to cover cost to by new uniforms.  Almost got MIAA booted all together, head coach is the AD.

Visiting team had all their stuff stolen out of the locker room during a game

Football and Basketball team actively recruits other schools players both private and public

Promised full rides to incoming an current football players only to have parents receive tuition bill in the mail

Only fielded a varsity football team this year due to above reason.

kjj348
1/13/2016 3:42:39 PM

jesus that is a lot. do you know that stuff first hand or is it just from the rumor mill? i can't believe MIAA would let them get away with that. regarding what i said earlier, if what you say is true and they are that bad, maybe bringing in poggi and macgregor will be a good thing.

Falcon83
1/13/2016 3:53:20 PM

When you move out of a mansion to take on the renovation of a house infested with unknown toxins, you secure certain terms of engagement and enjoy an upside potential that you can see and value.  That's Real Estate Development 101.  These guys know that SFA has some issues.  They are going to be arriving like the Cowboy in a white hat in many ways.  But they will be loading up the truck and taking stuff (victories) out the back door eventually.  What I am saying is that they know they can use SFA to accomplish an objective of theirs in football.  If it happens to help the school, I would imagine they see that as a feel good story with which justifies their methods.  Should be interesting.     

NewDC_Jon
1/13/2016 5:06:48 PM

I like the analogy. Keeping with it (and I know nothing about SFA) sometime dont you just condemn the house and have it torn down?

silverbullet
1/13/2016 7:25:42 PM

Unfortunately, I completely agree. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see this ending well. SFA just doesn't have the alumni support of a GC to move a campus so they are stuck with what they have. The best they can hope for is a FCA type situation.

prettyboy
1/13/2016 4:15:58 PM

Don't be shocked if the MIAA kicks out Saint Francis entirely in the next 2 -3 years if things get out of control with Biff & Co. 

BigBully
1/13/2016 4:19:22 PM

These are facts the rumors are much worse.

smdeagles
1/14/2016 8:26:30 AM

Where is Greyhoundalum when you need him....would love to hear his take.

kjj348
1/14/2016 12:14:21 PM

you may not be alone on that desire, but i'm betting you are in the minority wanting to hear what GA thinks. If you are interested, just go over to the baltimore sun's website. he has been getting ripped apart over there. uses same name.

dicooper
1/14/2016 4:58:55 PM
Agree @smdeagles

You bring up an interesting point.  If something like this is indeed all confirmed and we haven't heard from him by now then there might be a good chance that we won't hear from him at all on this topic.  Football being dismantled at Gilman must be pretty hard to handle and acknowledge for a guy that usually gets pumped up for scrimmages.

kjj348
1/14/2016 6:42:16 PM

it isn't fully confirmed. without going into the back and forth the baltimorons engaged in on the sun's website, apparently poggi has told the school he hasn't made his decision but will soon. frankly, i don't know why any school would put up with that. It shows how much spine Gilman lacks. it will be fun to watch though. I feel like if he stays now, if the rumors about this stuff and him leaving are true, then there will be an untennable relationship between the football people and the admins at that school. also, on a slightly related note, those morons on those boards think bauccia was a package deal with mcgregor and don't realize that he was passed up for the DM job when it was given to brooks instead. kudos on Silverbullet for trying to set them straight, but i think too many up there suffer from early onset dimensia due to the high levels of asbestos and natty boh 

silverbullet
1/14/2016 7:55:44 PM

I don't know what I was thinking when I created a username for that site. Normal people would just peruse without getting involved. Not the case with me. I went Simple Jack and signed up for the psych ward. I'm so mad at myself for getting caught up in that madness. I've literally been talking to a brick wall the past few days up there. I'm not joking I've had high volume outbursts of rage at work typing responses on my phone. I guess I'm just easy to bait...sucks to suck. 

kjj348
1/14/2016 8:46:54 PM

keep fighting the good fight

prettyboy
1/15/2016 9:15:51 AM

I find it odd that a school of Gilmans reputation would allow it self to be held on ransom by big old Biff.  

The program might take a step back in the first 2 years if Biff were to bolt but they will find a way to remain relavent in the MIAA and in the DMV. 

kjj348
1/15/2016 12:19:02 PM

well seeing as the one alum from there that I know personally is a delusional underachiever and the other, whom i don't know personally, is a prolific online commenter on at least 3 different h.s. football sites and just as delusional and easily excited by scrimmages, it would only make sense to assume gilman is just full of delusional fools even in their administration. this conclusion is based off of science as 100% of the alums  from there with whom i've come in contact (2 total) are like this. and science is always correct. pretty sure dcjon can back me up on this.

NewDC_Jon
1/15/2016 1:55:40 PM

Silver, you seriously appear to be one of the few rationale people on those Sun threads. It is a great read. 

NewDC_Jon
1/15/2016 2:34:19 PM

Silver this, "Your first paragraph is a complete lie from start to finish. The entire thing. The rest of your post is uniformed gibberish. Thanks for the carpel tunnel. " was literary gold. 

silverbullet
1/15/2016 3:55:36 PM

Thanks DCJ, but it wasn't one of my prouder moments. I should of walked away earlier and saved myself the experience of seeing stress spots/blurry vision as I exited my office last night. Don't be surprised if you see a skid row alcoholic wandering the streets of DC this weekend, mumbling about the effects of replacing a high school football coaching legend. Just introduce yourself and send me on my way. Hopefully I will have cleaned it up by Tuesday morning....

I still can't get over the fact that a guy from Baltimore attempted to trash DC as a city. 

kjj348
1/15/2016 5:02:00 PM

I have some older brothers. Some would say they are fantastic human beings. Certainly better than I. By far. On a regular basis, I disparage their good name so as to make myself feel better about my own shortcomings. Basically, what I am trying to say is that baltimore is DC's little brother and I don't blame the folks there for having an inferiority complex about it.

nomad
1/26/2016 4:16:22 PM

Its official.  Let the fire sale begin!!!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bal-gilman-football-coach-biff-poggi-leaving-the-program-after-19-years-20160126-story.html

NewDC_Jon
2/2/2016 6:09:33 PM

Fingers crossed he goes to the one true U of M - the one in Ann Arbor. Jim Harbaugh is a genius.