Attention SportsFans!

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent closing of schools and the spring sports season, we will be temporarily shutting down the site to make small changes and improvements for the fall.

As always, thank you for your patronage over the past 15 years and we look forward to seeing you online when this is over. Any questions can be directed to editor@dcsporsfan.com.

Sincerely,
TheSportsFanNetwork.com

St. John's lands a new QB

2/10/2016 7:59:58 PM
pjames129
2/10/2016 7:59:58 PM

St. John's takes advantage of the Giman coach leaving and grabs QB Kasim Hill. Will this now solve St. John's QB problems ? Will they actually contend for a Championship next year?

Falcon83
2/10/2016 10:59:47 PM

Senior transfer. Honesltly, if I were a parent on that team I would be going nuts.  Definately if I was the anticipated '16 QB parents.  The kid had a paid deal at Gilman even though his "sponsor", who was the head coach, left.  The school was going to honor any aid deal he was on. That wasn't good enough for him even though he has probably 10 BCS offers already.  Now he comes to SJC for free. Dont kid yourslef, of course its free. He wasn't playing for a scholarship.  But now some kid who put in his time and waited is going to ride the pine.  Something feels wrong about this.

GameChanger
2/19/2016 9:50:29 PM

All aid is financial based,  given the fact that this young Mans parents are Ivy League educated professionals. Your statement is a fairy tale.  

Falcon83
2/22/2016 11:37:15 PM

The money is the least of the issue - even though you are wrong.  Not that any level of education guarantees an income level.  If they are wealthy enough - it kind of makes it worse.  In fact some people who claim to be pretty smart and wealthy demand the same treatment in the recruiting process.  And seeing as how Poggi was his own financial aid committee - you would be 100% wrong to think that Gilman - in the form of a Poggi Grant - was need based.  The school probably covered it to the extent there was need per the school guidelines.  And then St. Biff picked up the rest to the extent he needed a certain kid. Talk to any MoCo area recruit who was offered a "limo shuttle" to and from school and no - or substantially reduced - tuition. Parents definately don't have to qualify for the Poggi deal.  As for SJC, they were offering certain baseball players 50% with no income consideration whatsoever.  I know the kids parents.  So don't even try with the fairy tale stuff.  

GameChanger
2/23/2016 12:10:35 AM

I am intimately aware of how the recruiting process works and with this particular situation.  What is wrong with an athlete who wants to leave school because their coach is no longer going to be there to guide them?   I am so sick of reading everyone bash a man who THEY say took money out of his own pocket to give kids a better opportunity at LIFE after football.   Do you really believe this man or any other for that matter ONLY does this for a trophy,  ring or to feed his own ego?   In some instances these unselfish and giving men are the best role model in these young athletes lives.  Way back when,  it used to be against the rules to "recruit".  Yet I vividly remember a young man whose parents moved from NC,  took jobs with the archdiocese, received free tuition to St Marks and went on to play for Morgan at DeMatha,  then ACC, then NBA.   

Falcon83
2/23/2016 7:04:11 AM

My point that the kid is a senior transfer.  He had a goood deal where he was whether he appreciated it or not. He was the starter at an academically excellent school. He was either on ride or his parents can pay for it (according to you). The incumbent rising junior or senior QB at SJC is getting screwed by the school.  They most certainly didn't tell him they would consider doing this if he did what he was supposed to do as a student for 2 or 3 years as an 8th grade recruit.  The school should have showed some restraint or discretion here.  They have done that in the past.  I know w kid who was a junior QB looking for spot after some well known struggles at a couple of schools.  He didn't need any money.  He was not as good as Hill.  But probably better than the rising junior incumbent at that time. They wouldnt take him. 

I have already said the out of town transfer isnt a big deal to me - whether he gets money or not.  It's the senior thing that is the problem here.

GameChanger
2/23/2016 9:26:33 AM

Hill is from Bowie but I guess that is still out of town I guess 

Incumbent is more of an athlete than QB and will be just fine on signing day next year

Hill is one of the top 11 qbs in the nation. 

But apparently you are smarter than the rest of us. 

😁

Falcon83
2/23/2016 2:35:53 PM

Never said I was smarter than anybody.  Hill would have been fine on signing day adn already had his options. Look - it's a mission issue.  Which was the center of the controversary (from the other thread anyway) regarding the Washington Post article.  We are talking about a high school.  If it is a pro team - by all means you go get the best player available.  If somebody wants to pay for a few guys that come in at 9th grade - fine with me.  This is different. 

tomslick
2/11/2016 10:25:57 AM

QB wasnt STJ problem it was the defense. The DB play in particular maybe they need a new DB coach.

kjj348
2/11/2016 11:29:25 AM

SJC's problems are more than one player or one side of the ball. much of it is the sidelines and players who believe their own hype.

tomslick
2/11/2016 1:02:06 PM

I agree

R828
2/23/2016 7:23:55 AM

This has been metioned (DB coach) more than once about the DB coaches at SJC.  My son, who  attends SJC but does not play football (lacrosse) says the players like the JV coach but keep getting coaches from outside who they dont listen to.  

CallitLikeIseeit
2/11/2016 5:12:43 AM

This isn't how SJHS built its long tradition of great sports, a great education and helping needy kids under God.  Tradition and alumni are what make these Catholic schools like SJHS special.  No I'm not even an SJHS alum and do you think this kid will ever even come back to SJHS to suport the school in any way once he's gone?   A sad state of affairs indeed.  

kjj348
2/11/2016 7:10:46 AM

welcome to DCsportfan. how is the weather in baltimore? just a little tip, friend, but here it is called SJC, not sjhs and the school is anything but special. but we wouldn't expect you to know that.its tough watching gilman fall apart right? 

smdeagles
2/11/2016 10:30:28 AM

Interesting.......where does the kid live? Big distance from Gilman to SJC. Kids can go where they choose. No problem with that. I do hate to see so much emphasis placed on football and sports in general. Rare that these type of transfers are driven by academics. Football is going to let down 99% of these kids..however it seems 99% of them are chasing this dream.

tomslick
2/11/2016 11:03:25 AM

Kid lives in pg county

bigpeete1
2/11/2016 11:09:37 AM

End of story!

NewDC_Jon
2/11/2016 1:40:07 PM

The educational downgrade from a Gilman to an SJC is significant. It is obvious (and sad) that this decision had little to nothing to do with academics. He would get the same offers at a Gilman than he will at an SJC. And, he would have been far better prepared for the academic side of college coming out of Gilman. Not saying SJC is bad academically (it is perfectly fine) but to leave a school that is nationally respected for its academics for football purposes for an SJC makes little sense even when viewed through the lens of football. 

afros
2/11/2016 1:39:12 PM

Look out because I heard the BigDog Cam Spence is coming to SJC by way of Gilman and IMG 

GC06
2/11/2016 5:20:40 PM

Is the cam spence thing a done deal?

BigBully
2/11/2016 3:01:37 PM

Looks like that under armour money is starting to flow

MetroAreaBallers
2/11/2016 9:50:42 PM

The Gilman school is a school of great academic and athletic standing. They are ranked nationally as a top day school and their football team finished in the top 20 in the country. Think about it. Why would parents be insistent on withdrawing their children from such an institution? Was it because the coaching staff left? Hardly. Could it be because the parents believed their kids would receive a better education? No. Or maybe they are in pursuit of more division 1 offers. Certainly not. These kids are starters at Gilman and get significant recognition from college coaches. So why leave? The fact is, some members of the Gilman administration and board made it clear through word and deed that they were not happy with the presence of the Black Student Athlete. Anytime key administrators have a concern that "The complexion of the team is too dark" there is a major problem. When student athletes are referred to as "Recruits", its a problem. When a member of the board refers to the live performance of the Friendship High School marching band as a "rap video", its a problem. The social environment had become toxic real quick and what was in the dark came to light. For the emotional well-being of their child some parents think its best to leave and go to a more healthy environment. Gilman in time will get its act together no doubt, but unfortunately time is what some of these kids dont have. They  are not looking to go and disrupt an established community but are looking to serve, add value and be accepted.

magicjuan
2/12/2016 1:45:56 PM

Heard the same thing about OLGC.  I was actually at a barbershop and a guy sitting in the chair mention his unfavorable view of what he termed "professional athletes" at the school where his daughter attended.  If this was the prevailing viewpoint of Alum/Board at OLGC I could see where it may impact their recruiting ability and through circumstance make it nearly impossible to compete in the WCAC.  

Gilman is notorious for "demanding" that African-American student reclassify as a term of admission (even honor roll students - I know of one personally and was shocked at the request).

Perhaps this was the impetus for the Gilman staff leaving and going to an historically African-American catholic school.  If the board said no more black athletes it would definitely hurt their chances of competing in the near future.

silverbullet
2/12/2016 2:59:17 PM

I wouldn't group a guy at a barbershop and a schools board together. Every school has a few parents that haven't entered the 21st century yet, no matter the race. Basically, your whole GC theory is bogus. 

Also, claiming that Gilman demands African American students to reclass is a very bold statement. Unless you are directly involved and have the stats to back it up, I suggest not posting rumors. 

Gilmans football staff left because they asked for for more leash in admissions and the headmaster wouldn't budge. While this topic was being discussed, a few Gilman faculty members voiced their opinions with racial undertones during meetings. That, in itself, is unacceptable and should be taken care of immediatly. The board's decision to not give any more leash was not racially motivated in the least. The coaching staff did not leave because of racial tension. They left because they felt that they needed more to reach their goals. The racial stuff was more of an icing on the cake. If Poggi never asked for more leeway, Gilman would be the same football team as usual. The reason they chose SFA is because Poggi has funded that school for years and it's the only place where they have total control(example...Stu Vetter to Montrose). Again, nothing to do with race. 

kjj348
2/12/2016 3:12:19 PM

yea, magicjuan is full of it. i'm pretty sure every post he has put up has been BS. that being said, silverbullet is 100% correct. every school in this country has its fair share of ignorant bigots of all shapes colors and sizes. that does not mean a given school is institutionally racist. if gilman demanded that all black students reclassify, i am pretty sure they would have had their endowment cleaned out via a few lawsuits by now. but then again, baltimore (and i'd like to clarify, i am more referencing the county here, but as far as i am concerned the city is guilty by association) is the worst place in MD (they can thank philly for saving them from worst place in mid-atlantic) and the majority of the folks i know from gilman are the worst people in baltimore.

magicjuan
2/17/2016 10:46:03 PM

I think that your generalization of Gilman students prove that you are the one full of it.  I know several great kids that attend this institution.  

However, the point of my post is that, while Gilman does indeed tend to ask African-American's to reclass, the student/athlete attended (and reclassed) at McDonogh.  He was a honor roll student but a bit small but was a hard hitter and a two-sport athlete.

Gilman is a top-notch school.

kjj348
2/18/2016 2:04:01 PM

you are right. i trust your barbershop pipeline tips. they are pretty trustworthy. some of the more reliable high school sport related information i have ever heard first-hand from a second-hand source has come on the heels of heated discussions regarding the greatest boxers (joe lewis). but then someone always has to bring up rocky marciano. basically what i am saying, is that your several is still less than the majority i know... and you are full of it.

NewDC_Jon
2/12/2016 3:47:07 PM

The entire time I have been reading about the Poggi/SFA thing, all I could think of was Vetter/Montrose. And Vetter/Flint Hill. And Vetter/Harker. Harker - gone. Flint Hill - nearly destroyed because of unsubstantiated claims of racism by Vetter but in spite of him stronger than ever now. Montrose - likely to go under. 

It was my concern all along w SFA and Poggi. Now, Poggi has his detractors (most are right) but he is no Vetter who is beyond scumbag material. That said, why is no one talking about the disastrous consequences of handing over control of an athletic program to one person? Can anyone name one instance in which it has succeeded in the long term?

I really struggle to understand why SFA, based upon history, would be ok with this. It doesn’t reap long-term financial rewards for the school (see St. Patricks in NJ) and often just helps the individual athletic program achieve glory often times at the expense of the other aspects of the school.

silverbullet
2/12/2016 4:13:45 PM

Completely agree. I believe SFA is on their last leg and was forced into taking on the Poggi situation. He may rub people the wrong way, but he has helped that school stay afloat. He's a very generous man in that way. The problem is that this model has never worked before. For a few years? Yes, but a foundation was never built. We all know what happens to things that have no foundation. They crumble. I don't mean to sound glass half full on the situation, but history is not on SFA's side here. The interesting part will be when times get tough at SFA. Will Poggi and crew stick around? Things happen to high schools kids... Scandals happen at the most prestigious schools. It's a very tough thing to do to sustain a school. It's way easier to take your bag of money and walk away. Hopefully I'm wrong.

From the sounds of it, SFA won't be a member of the MIAA any longer. That's a very crucial blow. Teams in the MIAA/WCAC hold each other's credibility up. It doesn't matter if you're Carroll, Gonzaga, GC, DeMatha, BMac or McDonogh, Gilman, Calvert Hall, MSJ etc...these schools feed off of each other. It goes way beyond sports. I've tried to explain this to people with little success, but when someone from out of town talks trash about Gonzaga, BMAC, SJC, etc...I stick up for those schools and jump all over them. It's more of a "you don't deserve to talk trash about them, only I do" type deal. I hope that makes any sense at all... 

NewDC_Jon
2/18/2016 1:57:51 PM

Late to the game on this one, but quick question - you note that SFA wont be a member of the MIAA any longer. By that are you referring to the fact that the financial situation over there makes it unlikely that the school will last much longer or that they are making a decision to leave the league?

MetroAreaBallers
2/12/2016 4:41:32 PM

The Gilman football program used to be  guaranteed 5 "scholarships" per year. Since the new Smythe took over the headmaster position those "scholarships" over the last several years dwindled from 5 to 1. Poggi and his staff didnt ask for "more", they only wanted what they previously had been given. Thats it. Poggi did not ask for anything else regarding admissions. You are 100% correct. Poggi and his staff did not leave because of race issues because in his own words "They are fighting against me and I dont understand why!" The students that Poggi recruited from the Metro area were black student athletes who met and exceeded the admissions requirements flat out on their own. These were students with an average 3.8 gpa. The only assistance they needed was financially. Poggi didnt provide the funds, the school did, hence the disagreement between the two. Certain board members and admin who have kids on the team and their issue was and is and I quote one... "My son has been here since kindergarten and the school is allowing these recruits to come in the 9th grade and my son doesn't see the field." So if these are the folks making the decision to limit the funding Poggi may not understand why but I do.

silverbullet
2/13/2016 8:48:00 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know that it was bumped down from 5 to 1 admits gradually. I did know that he was asking for something and the headmaster wasn't budging. I'll take your word for it that he wanted it to return back to the initial 5. IMO, I wouldn't care if he was trying for 8 or 10. It happens at the most elite of colleges, why is it so taboo for high school? 

I wasn't really responding to the guy in an attempt to explain what technically went on at Gilman. It was more to debunk his notion that some type of deeply embedded racial conspiracy was going on up there. 

MetroAreaBallers
2/13/2016 11:06:48 AM

So true my friend. There are many educators, coaches and administrators that really love the boys and go above and beyond to ensure that they are successful academically, socially and athletically. 

NewDC_Jon
2/18/2016 1:59:47 PM

Metro, I always thought it was Poggi paying the tuition of a whole bunch of kids. You are saying otherwise. You seem to know your stuff here so I am inclined to take you at your word, but then where is all the $$ that Poggi has supposedly given Gilman over the years gone? Paying for assistants? General scholarships? Just curious. 

BigBully
2/12/2016 3:42:43 PM

No you clown Gilman makes kids reclass cause it's easier for them to get into the high school coming from their middle school.  

Also did your GC guy tell you the story about what went down at a party many years ago at a former coaches house that started the downward trend at GC?

NewDC_Jon
2/12/2016 3:48:10 PM

Bully, MagicJuan is too focused on his MENSA-caliber son who runs a 4.5 40 to worry about silly things like facts. 

magicjuan
2/17/2016 10:55:01 PM

I got it and you don't -- all I need is the exposure and academic environment.  

BTW, smart a$$, you could bring out your boy out and we'll line up in the oklahoma drill (best 3 out of 5, although I doubt that he'll need that many attempts to establish grit iron supremacy).  After my kid smashes your kid/s (or any other 2019 - 2017 you could find), you and I can get in the "kut". You'll be gazing at the clouds, lying right next to your kid.

If he and I don't knock the snot outta you little girlish nose...it simple doesn't count.

Is it "Jon" or "John" as in "trick".

silverbullet
2/18/2016 6:44:12 AM

This is going to get good....

NewDC_Jon
2/18/2016 12:09:11 PM

Silver, no point. Read what he wrote - he isn't going to get it. It isn't his kid's academic ability - it is the teachers, the pace of the work, etc. All his kid needs is the right academic environment (yet he wouldn't make the kid transfer). It isn't his kid's athletic ability, all his kid needs is exposure (yet the coaches don't see his kid fit to be put on a field). Everyone else is wrong. He is right. God I wish I lived my life through those kind of rose colored glasses. 

He openly talks about throwing his child out on a field against my child to settle some score he has with me. To repeat, he openly states he wants to have his son potentially injured (or potentially injure another minor) to settle a score with a complete stranger. Silver, basically he wants his son to commit a felony because he is mad at someone he has never and will never meet in his life. Silver, I want you to think about this. This is tantamount to me handing my kid a shovel, pointing to a stranger, and saying, "Son, I don't know that guy, but I think he pissed me off one time, so mind bludgeoning him with that blunt object for me?" A person who suggests doing something like that seriously lacks the basic common sense required to grasp any response I send directly to him.

Moving on. He then openly talks about committing assault on an adult if his kid can't successfully fight his battles for him. Does this seem like the kind of person who I should respond to? He should be relegated to the Baltimore Sun message boards. 

I only hope and pray that his kid gets the exposure his dad mistakenly thinks he deserves so he can get a full ride to a college far, far away from his incredibly misguided and unintelligent parent. 

silverbullet
2/18/2016 10:10:43 PM

Thanks for the complete breakdown. I knew you'd put this thing into perspective for the group. I'll give magicjuan one thing....I was purple in the face laughing when he actually challenged you to an Oklahoma Drill. Yea I was laughing at and not with, but it was still a laugh. 

ps019364
2/22/2016 10:57:15 PM

The heck with the Oklahoma drill. Coney Island Hot Dog Eating contest Mano a Mano. Joey Chestnut vs  (3 out of 5). I'm feeling nauseous already. Watching the biggest loser. He was kidding right?

Falcon83
2/12/2016 4:08:01 PM

Do tell.   Is that when the new president was hired to change the football emphasis?

BigBully
2/12/2016 4:23:01 PM

And Principal.  

magicjuan
2/17/2016 11:01:07 PM

Clown?!? Really...I guess you really are a "firewall" protect bully!  I imagine that you can give proof that there are as many reclassed white student/athletes as there are African-Americans?  Didn't think so!

Forcing a kid to "repeat" a grade is basically institutionalized racism.  How about bringing a kid up-to-speed academically without forcing him to go back to the 8th grade.  Any parent who does this for athletic purposes is a fool!

kjj348
2/18/2016 2:15:20 PM

you are missing a few key components to prove racism here. and i agree, anyone who forces their child back a year for athletic purposes is a fool. but still not as big of a fool as the guy who pimps his kid out for fights (magicjuan, now i get it) on anonymous online forums.

NewDC_Jon
2/18/2016 2:22:38 PM

I mean I know Giblin is a bit of a racist, but was his reclassing of white lacrosse players to help Prep out an act of racism?