Attention SportsFans!

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent closing of schools and the spring sports season, we will be temporarily shutting down the site to make small changes and improvements for the fall.

As always, thank you for your patronage over the past 15 years and we look forward to seeing you online when this is over. Any questions can be directed to editor@dcsporsfan.com.

Sincerely,
TheSportsFanNetwork.com

Why McNamara will win the WCAC in 2016

6/14/2016 8:41:37 PM
Fournette2.0
6/14/2016 8:41:37 PM

Many will think I am smoking some illegal substance when I write this.  I have no affiliation to McNamara but they have built a pretty solid program since Coach Goganious has taken over.  They are primed to make some noise in 2016 and I believe that they will unseat DeMatha and win the WCAC.  

Fact 1: Favorable Schedule

Mac opens up against Riverdale Baptist which they should win easy by at least three touchdowns.  Then they face Woodbury Forest, McDonogh and Bishop Sullivan Catholic.  Potentially, they could be 4-0.  I don't see them being challenged in these four games.  McDonogh maybe, but they will get beat by Gonzaga in week one.  No WCAC game is a gimmie.  Getting Zaga at home could be a win followed by Carroll.  The next two games will be tough. DeMatha and Good Counsel.  They split those and they finish with Ryken and St. John's.  Kasim Hill or no Kasim Hill, Mac has owned SJC the past two seasons.  

Fact 2: Tough Defense

McNamara boasts a star-studded FBS secondary and will be hard to pass against.  They also feature all WCAC LB Wesley Bowers.    They return three starters on the defensive line led by DE Xavier Hare who had 8 sacks in limited action last season.  Defense wins championships and Mac will be good defensively. 

Fact 3: The Ramar Williams factor

I think Mac's offense will be better without Williams.  Ramar was exciting to watch and made big plays but he was also erratic at times and made some boneheaded plays.  With that being said, Mac features two unheralded RB's in Xavier Williams and Kevin Byrd.  Williams clocked a 4.21 at Ohio State and Byrd is a 4.5 kid.  Mac will rely on the run game this season and potentially have a QB that will be efficient.  He is more of a pocket passer and is skilled.  At nearly 6'3, he has the size and arm strength to carry the offense. 

Mac could have a two year run in the WCAC.  Both 2017 and 2018 classes are solid.  I got them taking the crown.

gostag
6/15/2016 7:43:18 AM

Zero chance of that happening IMO.  Maybe if DeMatha has major injuries with all their key starters on offense, they could compete for the playoffs but St. John's will be tougher than usual with the new coaching staff under Big Joe and better overall talent.  Good Counsel is always there in the end and Gonzaga feels like they could actually be better than last year according to my Eagle's friends, who are always overly optimistic.  McNamara is competitive though and they have given us real problems, took Good Counsel to the wire last season and have beaten St. John's the past two seasons as well.  Those McNamara losses likely got Little Joe fired according to my scouts on Military Road.  DeMatha wins it again in 2016, Go Stags!

Broddyd
6/15/2016 12:50:36 PM

It is great to see people getting excited about the 2016 season and it is also great to see such enthusiasm for McNamara.  Virginia private school football is clearly not on the same level as MD and DC ball but it is a stretch to say that BMac will not even be challenged by Bishop Sullivan or Woodberry.  Bishop Sullivan has several D1 prospects and will certainly come to play.  Woodberry's qb led all Virginia schools in touchdowns and passing yards last season and they are always big and well coached.  BMac will be favored for sure but I don't think the Tigers will go down without a fight. 

NewDC_Jon
6/20/2016 3:17:43 PM

Just looking at their schedule, it seems to me it is more likely that BMac will start the season 0-4 than 4-0. Woodberry throttled them last year - especially in the second half. McDonogh is, based upon recent history, significantly better than them. What is going on down at Bishop Sullivan could leave B Mac in for a big surprise. And RB will be out for revenge in the game to determine who the second best team in PG County is. While I think they will be far closer to 2-2 than 0-4, going 0-fer is far more likely than running the table in those games. A likely loss to Gonzaga puts them somewhere between 2-3 and 0-5 before a game against a rapidly improving (and very well coached) ABC program. Harris and his staff scheduled smart w some fairly easy games in their first four. ABC should be rested to face what could be a beat-up BMac team. This game will be no gimmie for BMac. BMac will likely drop their next two to OLGC and DeMatha but they should be able to eeek out a win vs. SMR. SMR played them tough on the road last year though, perhaps having the home field advantage will swing things in the Knights favor. A close out game against a far superior SJC team (talent wise) with a new coaching staff will also be a tough one. Granted BMac somehow managed to beat them the past two years, but that luck has to run out some time, no?

All told, BMac appears to have likely wins in the form of RB and SMR, winable games against Woodberry, ABC, and SJC (if SJC mails it in again) and likely loses against the rest. But there is a reason they play the games.

R828
7/21/2016 10:02:04 PM

I don't think you're smoking illegal drugs.  But,  I do know that "you are high on something".  What is it Dirt, Drugs, or Dog Food.  And then you chased that ridiculous notion by saying "Bmac may have a 2 yr run". 

Boy you funny 

GC06
6/14/2016 8:58:55 PM

They will in fact be very tough this year. I am not so sure they will win the ship though. I don't think alot of people realize what's going on down at bishop sullivan. They are the most talented team in the state of virgina with the transfers they have brought in. 18 guys with d1 offers. 4 guys with Alabama offers. 

dcross
6/14/2016 10:06:33 PM

I think MAC will be good this year, 7-3 maybe 8-2 record. Not sure about the ship either, but i believe they have the talent to make the big game. DM will be hard to beat. Bishop Sullivan?? 18 D1 kids? Best team in VA? weren't they 4-6 last year? They lost to Benedectine 48-0, Suffolk Academy 50-32, Trinity Episcopal twice 59-14, and 31-16, and John Paul the great 17-14. All VA teams. Am i supposed to believe they are now the best team in VA because of some transfers with offers? This is the same type of preseason hype Riverdale Baptist had last year. Let them beat somebody before we crown them.

BigDrop
6/14/2016 10:57:37 PM

Really nice to see some posts on here.

Bishop Sullivan has a new head coach who has moved over from Ocean Lakes where he was 11-1 last year with the only loss to Oscar Smith (who DeMatha play).  The year before, 2014, he won the Virginia state division six championship beating Centreville.  Since 2012 Chris Scott was 52-3 at Oscar Smith.

At Bishop Sullivan he is assembling a Tidewater football magnet school who also play Gilman and Good Counsel this year along with McNamara.

McNamara will not be favored in this game...

GC06
6/15/2016 6:19:10 AM

These aren't just every day no name transfers. 2 underclass all Americans the top ranked lb in 2018 class. The top ranked running back in va. Just to name a few. Riverdale Baptist transfers aren't exactly the same

Fournette2.0
6/15/2016 8:45:37 AM

Looks like that Sullivan team might be decent.  If the coach have players follow him from Ocean Lakes and a few other tranfers come it, that could make them a tough team to beat.  However, Mac has enough talent and the coaching to beat them and I believe Mac plays them at home.  Having 18 D1 commits doesn't translate to wins. 

smdeagles
6/15/2016 12:54:54 AM

Trying to be kind here........BMC has no shot at the championship. SJC will be better than last year. DM will be DM. GC will likely take a small step back but not that much. GZ will probably take a step back as well. BMC MIGHT have a shot at the playoffs depending on where GZ is but that is about it.

Fournette2.0
6/15/2016 8:49:07 AM

SJC offense last year was awful and their defense wasn't that great as well.  Didn't the current HC call the offense?  How do you blow a 28-7 lead against McNamara and lose?  Don't think with Kasim Hill coming in that changes a lot.  As talented as he is, Gilman had studs around him and they bullied everybody in the MIAA.  The only team that challegend Gilman was McDonogh and maybe Spalding but that's it.  In the WCAC, it's going to be a war week in and week out.  I'm not saying they will suck, but I don't see them in the top half of the conference.  I got Mac getting in the playoffs and doing some damage. 

I can say out of Mac games against Gonzaga, DeMatha and GC, DeMatha would be the game I would say they lose. 

silverbullet
6/15/2016 8:17:24 PM

I've got GC and GZ taking steps forward this year. I'm not really sure why people don't agree and haven't seen any reasons to debate that. They both really didn't lose much and return D1 QB's with a few game tested D1 skill positions. DM lost a lot, but is still the most talented team in the league with SJC a close second. While I expect BMac to be better this year, especially OOC, I think they will be on the outside looking in at the final 4. Well, unless SJC completely buckles, which is absolutely possible. This season is going to be great for fans. Anyone know what's going on at SMR? I know they have some good talent. 

smdeagles
6/16/2016 2:27:15 AM

GZ did lose a lot. Basically the entire defense. They may have 3-4 returning starters on defense. Their success last year was due to their defense. GC is not as deep as in years past but you could be right about them....GC also lost a couple of defensive guys that were pretty good. SJC should be better because they were really young last year.....they did look bad on offense at times last year but should be able to run the ball on anyone. DM will be the favorite again. I don't see how BMC breaks into the top 4 unless GZ takes a bigger step back than I think they will.

silverbullet
6/16/2016 6:10:49 PM

I overlooked what they had coming back on defense, but I'm still sticking to my prediction for GZ. Their defense was good because of the scheme and the kids buying in to the overall "team over stats" mentality. Besides the LB, GZ didn't really have anyone that had FBS hype. They were a disciplined unit of rugby and lacrosse athletes who bought into the system. I don't think they'll miss a beat with that coaching staff. Agree to disagree I guess.....

dcross
6/15/2016 7:48:56 AM

My point is that last year everybody was talking about the GC transfer running back, the highly rated WCAC caliber DB's that would shut  everybody down.The 13 D1 kids, the loaded D1 Dline that MAC would have no chance of running against, and how great the coaching staff was over at RBS. If i recall correctly a lot of people favored RBS to win. Had them rated one of the top teams last year in the preseason. End result, RBS got destroyed, and if MAC wasn't trying to rack up passing yards it would have been much worse. Now you are saying that the VA transfers are better than RBS kids? based on what? preseason rankings?  here we are again, hyping another team that has accomplished absolutely nothing. I personally think GZ and DM will be the only teams that really give MAC issues, maybe GC, because of coaching and home field advantage this year. SJC will not be that good. The coaching over there will still be garbage no matter who they recruit. It's been the same story with them for the past few years. 

Mac_be_Ballin
6/15/2016 9:48:20 AM

Wow good to finally see the Mustang getting some respect on here. but FYI they were the best team in the conference last year. They lost to a Gonzaga team by 10 without their all-state WR Camari Murray. They lost to Good Counsel after losing the best QB in the area in the first half. While Dematha escaped 6800 Marlboro Pike with a 5 points win in a shoot out they didn't want to play them in the playoffs. And St. Johns.... ST. JOHNS... St. Johns was up 28-7 and then scored 7 points in 3 quarters to lose to Mac and the back up quarterback after only his Second start of his career. Just my thoughts. I dont wanna give predictions for who will win this year (there is still a lot of time in the summer for SJC and DeMatha to go steal some more kids) but it should be very interesting. I look forward to this season.

Fournette2.0
6/15/2016 12:39:29 PM

Good points. I'm excited for this year, but I can assure you that Mac will be dangerous.  overall, chemistry wise, good coaching and lack of fear factor against DeMatha, GZ and GC.  However, like many have said, going to GC will be tough, but is it possible that if Mac and DeMatha are both undefeated for their Friday night showdown....that the game will be televisied?  After all, Mac would have wins over Gonzaga, McDonogh and Woodgrove while DeMatha would have beaten Oscar Smith.  Seems to me that ESPN would want to feature that game. 

silverbullet
6/15/2016 8:03:13 PM

DeMatha vs. BMac would be more attractive to ESPN than DM vs. GC? Thats the most absurd statement that's been posted on this site in 2016. What has BMac done to gain any attention from ESPN? DeMatha, Good Counsel and Gonzaga get ESPN's attention because they have played and beaten national top 25 teams. Not to be mean, but BMac would need to have the #1 player in the 2017 class to get on ESPN this coming season. 

NewDC_Jon
6/18/2016 1:32:00 PM

Silver, I've got to disagree w you man. A statement indicating that DeMatha v. BMac would be more attractive to ESPN than DM v OLGC isn't even the most absurd statement that has been posted on this thread. If you scroll up just a tad you will see that someone actually wrote, "FYI they were the best team in the conference last year" in regards to Bishop McNamara football. Now that at least takes the cake for most absurd statement on this thread and is in the top five for most absurd statements on this site in 2016. FYI, if anyone is getting the award for most absurd statement posted on this site in 2016, it is me. 

silverbullet
6/20/2016 9:52:59 AM

Nice catch. I'm not sure how I overlooked that. 

silverbullet
6/15/2016 7:53:21 PM

I wouldn't say that DeMatha didn't want to play BMac in the playoffs. BMac scored at the end of the game to bring it to 5 points. It may look good on paper, but it really wasn't that close. DeMatha played, at very least, 5 teams more impressive than BMac in 2015(Miami Central, AHP, LaSalle, Gonzaga, and GC). They played GC in the final, who played DM much tougher than BMac, and put a running clock on them...

Also, there is still a lot of time for BMac to take in double digit transfers like they did two years ago....So we should probably wait for them also. 

Mac_be_Ballin
6/16/2016 10:46:01 AM

I am tired of your ignorant and idiotic statements towards McNamara. Im starting to form an opinion about you. More than likely you were either bullied by kids from McNamara growing up or someone from McNamara stole your girl. Either way get over it and be realistic. Gonzaga did play them better because they won. McNamara had 47 points in this game, the 5 weeks leading up to that match up the total points scored by DM opponents was 48 points. 3 of those teams you named never even had a lead on DM. Anybody who was at that game knows that was one of the best high school football games they have seen in the last decade. When BM scored there was two minutes left in the game, that game was truly decided on a field goal DM hit coming out of the half. BM went for 2 on their last two touchdowns and missed them both. FYI BM ran for 200 yards and threw for another 350 on that historically great DM defense. Gonzaga didn't even run for 200 in their win. and we know no one else got close to throwing for 350 yards. Next time you start talking sideways about BM make sure you can back up them dumb a** statements. Bishop McNamara make sure you put some Respeck on they name.

ps. It was 8 transfers and im pretty sure they didn't seek out any of them. I know for a fact 4 of them came from DM. No transfer for BM has ever turned out to be the best player on their team. (DM "#9" SJC QB & Lineman) 

silverbullet
6/16/2016 6:44:51 PM

Hey Mac_Be_Ballin, I've got to be 1000% honest here..... the opinion that you formed about me is spot on. Unfortunately, the execution of your joke was the exact opposite. The rest of your post is complete homer nonsense...

P.S. If BMac wants to be treated like an out dated, psychopathic, money stealing, faced tatted, homophobic, closeted homosexual, etc...than that's cool. I'll put some "Respeck" on their name...

Mac_be_Ballin
6/17/2016 1:32:23 PM

Interesting how you didn't address any of the facts in my post. Because you can't BS stats. They don't lie. Now keep BMHS out your mouth for now own. Thanks

silverbullet
6/17/2016 8:56:09 PM

Note taken, Sheriff of Internet. Will do. That name will be out of my mouth from here on out. Although, I don't think that will be too difficult of a task....I will take it very serious...

In all honesty, I've got no problem with BMac. I respect the hell out of what they do all around and I really mean that. Best advice I can give you Mac_Be_Ballin....You may want to unbunch those panties and grow some thicker skin if you want to be in the spotlight. It's a brutal world out there....

tomslick
6/18/2016 1:15:14 PM

Look who's talkin! Oh my, cut the crap!

kjj348
6/18/2016 6:21:31 PM

if you are referring to the bunched panties comment in silverbullet's post, Tom, you should take your own advice. we know your take on "skinny jeans" and how they are affecting young men (projecting much?). also, anytime anyone points out that bullis is a second teir school athletically and academically, you always start crying. so, in your own words.... look who's talkin! oh my, cut the crap!

tomslick
6/18/2016 8:10:22 PM

Sick joker you have a real fettish with skinny jeans you freak! You need to check yourself. You just posted something the other day about skinny jeans! WTF!

We can end this now, you can visit the Bullis.org site to see the acceptance letters for the past several years and where the athletes have committed/signed. Thats an easy fix! You do the research and get back to us, Thanks! 

kjj348
6/20/2016 10:59:54 AM

i'm so sorry that you were not able to comprehend my post, if you would ever like me to break it down for you, i will. also, acceptance letters posted on a website don't change the fact that bullis is a second tier school (in fact, it smacks of not being used to that kind of outcome), with second tier academics, and second tier athletics on a regular basis. sure, you have the occasional good year (lacrosse team was relevant for the first time in 25 years, kudos!) and your football team was probably that of high-end MOCO public school caliber, so those are improvements.

tomslick
6/21/2016 7:10:52 AM

Oh, high school wins and loses/local rankings are you determining factor for a second teired program. Not where the kids end up in school after their HS careers. Going to Wake, Duke, Carnegie Mellon, Notre Dame, Cornell, Colgate, Hofstra, Johns Hopkins etc, etc, to play their prospective sport says nothing about a schools academic profile and athletics program in your opinion! I got you! Ha,ha,ha stay right there. 

kjj348
6/21/2016 7:53:15 AM

it says that they are doing, finally, what most of the of schools around here have been for years. this area is loaded with great talent and great schools. bullis is second tier among them. and the other schools don't need a page on their website to let everyone know.

Casey124
6/22/2016 8:56:13 AM

If I may interject.  Let's be fair.  The IAC is the 2nd best athletic league in metro area behind the WCAC.  This is mainly due to the schools being much smaller and much more expensive than WCAC schools.  The top IAC schools like Bullis, Prep, Episcopal play a few MOCO schools each year and they crush them so it is far from accurate when you say any of those schools are like a "high end MOCO" school.  Those IAC schools have kids heavily recruited each year at FBS schools, they are just small.  Most varsity football teams only have 30 kids with the studs going both ways whereas a Dematha has 60 kids on varsity and studs only going 1 way.  While IAC is certainly a step below WCAC it is not "second tier" in a negative way. More like 2nd tier in that it is the 2nd most recruited conference in the Metro area.

And as far as academics go, no WCAC school should claim academic superiority over any IAC school except maybe Gonzaga.  SJC, Dematha, MacNamara, etc, don't kid yourself. They are clearly a step behind if not multiple steps behind all the IAC schools.  They are athletic powerhouses that recruit sub par student athletes for the sake of athletic success, another big differntiator from IAC schools.  Look at the committs from the IAC schools, they have offers from schools like Stanford and Duke and the academies in addition to the Penn States, etc.  Kids don't get offers from the academies unless they are very smart. You find far more true student athletes in IAC schools whereas a LOT of WCAC athletes are just using the school as a 4 year hangout that is required to get their athletic scholarship.

I think Bullis currenlty has 5 or 6 2017 players with FBS offers.  Episcopal may have more. They are talented teams that FBS recruiters pay more attention to than any public school. They just not deep teams nor do they try to be athletic factories like DeMatha and SJC.  The IAC schools have a much better perspective on the academic/athletic balance which puts them competitively below the WCAC schools and that is something to be proud of, not knocked.

NewDC_Jon
6/24/2016 7:37:05 PM

"The IAC schools have a much better perspective on the academic/athletic balance which puts them competitively below the WCAC schools and that is something to be proud of, not knocked." Sure - provided you take Bullis out of the equation. The rest of the IAC does this, Bullis is mediocre academically and has no perspective on the academic/athletic balance. It is why its SAT, ACT, and AP scores are at best on par with (and in some cases worse than) the likes of Gonzaga, Seton, AHC, and DeMatha. 

Casey124
6/27/2016 6:58:29 AM

I disagree. Obviously you have A personal issue with Bullis. Bullis is certainly not at the academic level of Landon, Prep or St. Albans but not many schools are. Bullies is still a few steps ahead of SJC and Dematha. It is a very good school and very diverse school, i would guess it may be the most diverse private school in the area. 

And they certainly do not sacrifice academics for athletics. The Neal kid committed to Duke. Bullis doesn't bring in nearly as many athletes as Demaatha and SJC do so they can be pickier and bring in the better students. The senior RB that just transferred in is an excellent student, otherwise he wouldn't be there.  Dwayne Haskins was an excellent student, the list goes on. 

NewDC_Jon
6/27/2016 2:46:23 PM

You can disagree - clearly you have a personal bias in favor of Bullis. But #s dont lie - the standarized tests I referenced were referenced for a reason. SAT, ACT, and AP scores are at best on par with (and in some cases worse than) the likes of Gonzaga, Seton, AHC, and DeMatha. Not a few steps ahead of DeMatha in the least. So no, I don't have a personal issue w Bullis. I base my opinions of schools on facts.

That said, I have a personal issue w people blindly defending the academics of Bullis and putting it ahead of a number of far better WCAC schools.  Regarding diversity - hilarious. The most diverse private school in the area? Sure, if that area is the immediate vicinity surrounding Bullis. Otherwise, that is a laugbable statement. That school has two things about it - Cilento and Lloyd - that are positive. Otherwise, it is, and will likely remain, a public school with uniforms. No shame in that, just stop pretending it is more than that. Or maybe we can talk about Bullis's ad hoc AV club that was established among members of the lacrosse team this spring. 

Casey124
7/6/2016 7:54:19 AM

You are just spouting nonsense.  Have you ever been to Bullis? Have you ever been on their campus during a school day?  I have.  I have been toured through the school by a board member (a close friend) so I am certainly speaking from an informaed position. I was amazed at how diverse the school was for a $40K/year school. Of course, not all the students are paying that.  Conversely, do you have a sense of the diversity make up school like Landon and Prep?  You would have to be blind to not see a stark difference.

Please provide links to all the SAT and ACT data.  You love to quote this stuff and just expect people to take your word for it. Share the actual data.  And I have provided you FACTS. The stud football players at Bullis (the difference makers) are document top end students getting offers from schools that only offer top end students.  Can you say that about Dematha and SJC?

You are clearly ingnorant about Bullis. I'm sure you will claim to have been there but no way you could have actually seen that school in person and make the statements you made.  This much is crystal clear to me at this point.

NewDC_Jon
7/6/2016 11:03:20 AM

Clearly I have struck a nerve. A poorly informed, ignorant nerve. To address your temper tantrum:

1. I have been on Bullis' campus many times as a coach, administrator, and athlete (that last one goes back a number of years though). I spent a ton of time on the campus when I was running a non-profit that Bullis occassionaly provided camp scholarships to. In fact, I was on campus just a couple weeks ago w a Bullis coach (a close friend) admiring the mockups for the new lit turf field over the old "elevated" field. That and the discovery center should be a vast improvement over what had been there. 

2. I have provided the actual #s countless times for the ACT/SAT scores on previous threads. Do your own homework. Here are some links for the school profiles of Seton, Bullis, and Gonzaga to get you started. Please note, Bullis' scores are skewed higher because they self selected 40 students for the profile (rather than show the results of the entire student body) and their reported scores are still lower than that of Gonzaga (about 1/2 the price) and Seton (about 1/3 the price). Sad.  

http://www.bullis.org/page.cfm?p=567 

http://www.gonzaga.org/document.doc?id=7108 

http://www.setonhs.org/page.cfm?p=350

3. Re: diversity -  you said it was "the most diverse private school in the area." Well, the WCAC is in the area (AHC is a few minutes away) and it is far less diverse than every WCAC school. Prep and Landon aren't all that diverse either, but there is a difference - I don't recall a racial scandal at either of those schools involving racism in the past few years. Any school that fosters an environment in which that can happen in 2016 has some serious issues. 

So who is ignorant about what now? What is crystal clear? If there is any bias, it is one formed on sound evidence. The academics are below that of Seton and Gonzaga (again, you do your homework on the rest). The school isn't "the most diverse private school in the area." That is just a fact. Walk the halls of SJC, DeMatha, Seton, ABC, Visi, Gonzaga or any number of other high schools and you will see that. Maybe you have a board member friend at one of those schools who can give you a tour of them.

I don't dislike the school, I dislike the ignorant homers who jump on this site and claim it is better than it is. 

tomslick
6/18/2016 8:24:00 PM

Also you freak, if you would have paid any attention, which you havent I have talked about kids from all over to include the DC public/charter school kids and teams. 

silverbullet
6/20/2016 9:55:08 AM

Typical post about nothing from you. 

Mac_be_Ballin
6/19/2016 11:24:00 AM

Just tired of you spitting BS until the actually facts and stats come out then you turn into a court jester. 

silverbullet
6/20/2016 9:58:37 AM

Facts? What facts? Your facts? You don't even know how many transfers your own school lets in.

kjj348
6/18/2016 6:18:05 PM

you just stated that a team was the best in the conference last year, then proceeded to talk about how they lost nearly half of their in-conference games.... in other words, you explained why, at best, they could be considered the fourth best team (but they were not 4th best either). also, despite macnamara bringing in transfers every year as many teams around here do, you argue that other schools "steal" them? Excuse me, weren't three or four of your best players (other than ramar) last year former DM kids who just couldn't hack it in hyattsville? did Mac steal those kids? or did they just reap the benefits of DM's overload of talent and get a few b+ players from the stags who would be A players on a team like macnamara.

NewDC_Jon
6/18/2016 7:10:34 PM

They bring in far more transfers than other teams do every year. In Goganous's first two seasons there he brought in well over two dozen of them. A local PG paper did an article about it the summer before the start of his second season with the program. 

Mac_be_Ballin
6/19/2016 11:07:59 AM

Over 24 transfers really dumba**. Please post that link. 

NewDC_Jon
6/19/2016 4:55:07 PM

Wow, appears I hit a nerve. No need for name calling Ballin. Sidebar, I didn't realize that "Ballin" was a synonym for mediocrity. Based upon Mac's performance and your screen name, it must be.

Either way, here is the article about his first crop of transfer students (brought in after his first season):http://www.gazette.net/gazettecms/story.php?id=7623. 

It was 11 or something the season after that. W the Gazette no longer in publication the article giving the total summary it is tough to find. But either way, you were 100% wrong about your claim that it was only 8 (because this article clearly states 13 in for one of the seasons) and there is no need to be so sensitive. 

kjj348
6/20/2016 11:17:40 AM

"Another target available for Williams to throw to is senior Alfonso Banks, who transferred to McNamara from George Mason High School in Falls Church, Va. Banks is one of 13 transfer students playing for McNamara this year, including sophomore running backs Xavier Williams (North Point) and Keith Sherald, Jr. (Westlake)."

holy crap! thirteen transfers and they were still some booty even with Ramar! thirteen transfers in one season, i don't think DM GC and GZ have ever even combined for that many in one year. maybe that is SJC and Mac's problem? instead of developing talent, they expect it to just arrive? that kind of approach may work in leagues like the IAC where one or two players can make the difference, but the top teams in the WCAC are consistently deep, and most players have come up through the program.

gostag
6/20/2016 3:00:51 PM

McNamara lives and mostly dies with transfers as they will take anybody that can play.  They recruit kids from all over the place and actually sent out college style recruiting letters to kids outside the WCAC trying to steal them from their current school.  Truthfully, DeMatha doesn't need to recruit transfers and gets great kids to come in as sophomores, juniors and seniors, ie the pick of the area litter.  That is how we have rolled for years.  Dudes like Chase Young, Robbie Robinson, Evan Gregory etc. and many others figure out that they want to play for a ship each year and transfer to us to get better coaching and exposure.  Good Counsel does the same.  Combined, the two schools had about 17 transfers in the past year from all over the DMV because of that fact.  Gonzaga only focuses on lacrosse transfers in to continue their dominance and most of their transfer equation is unfortunately on the way out the door in football.  Nobody has wanted to transfer to St. John's for years due to the coaching but they have defintely seen an uptick there which may or may not mean anything as they are usually soft as cotton candy when it comes to football.  Nothing wrong with transfer kids IMO as kids want to play in the WCAC. When they want to play for a Ship, then they come to DeMatha. Go Stags!

tomslick
6/21/2016 7:50:14 AM

Teams go out and grab kids based on need. Be it 1 kid or 21 kids its just part of the fabric in high school sports.  

Mac_be_Ballin
6/19/2016 11:20:44 AM

How is that possible when there were only 2 starters who were DeMatha transfers. Neither were named to all conference teams. Even though they should have been. Kids wanna play they come to Mac and play no politics. St. Johns nd DeMatha steal already established players to strengthen weaknesses. Robbie Robinson! Gilman QB.

kjj348
6/20/2016 9:10:16 AM

Man, you are dense. So lets get this straight: Macnamara was the best team in the league last year despite not even making the playoffs. Also, two of your better players (sorry for my huge miscalculation by guessing three or four) should have been named to the all conference team, yet weren't able to hack it at DM. i guess there are no politics at mac because when you are consistently losing and missing the playoffs, there really isn't any room for that. good luck this year, you are going to need it. it sure would be nice to see you guys beat someone other than an SJC that decided not to show up. i'll sayu this though, i hope your attitude isn't indicative of the culture at mac. if so, there are  alot of young men making excuses and justifying poor performance over there.

FootballFanatic11
6/19/2016 1:52:52 PM

Best team in the conference last year?   Lmao.   Ok your tripping!!  Good , yes.  But best in the conference ,,,, not close.  GZ won the regular season and DM won the title in a blow out of GC if my memory recalls correctly.  I'm sure all three would have had no problem playing BM in the playoffs ,,, had BM made the playoffs that is.  2016 is a new season, lets just wait and see how things shake out, though I am almost certain the big 3 will be in the mix as always and SJC and BM will fight for the 4th playoff spot.  Only time will tell.  Should be a fun season. 

tomslick
6/19/2016 2:23:04 PM

Im hearing STJ looked pretty good up UMD yesterday while winning the championship. Thats a good sign for a new QB and head coach. Gonna be interesting! 

FootballFanatic11
6/20/2016 6:23:11 AM

I heard the same thing.  and your right it should be very interesting.  We'll find out early what SJC is all about with their OOC schedule being as tough as it is, then following it up with DM and GC to start conference play.   Get your popcorn ready.  

bigpeete1
6/15/2016 3:21:23 PM

McNamara has always been crowned the off-season champion for years. They seldom make the playoffs so enjoy your out-of-season championship

dcross
6/15/2016 5:56:26 PM

Since when has MAC ever been crowned preseason champs? I always thought SJC held that title. nobody was worried about MAC, teams saw them as a win until recently. 

NewDC_Jon
6/18/2016 7:13:10 PM

I've never seen an intelligent poster talk about them having any chance of them winning the WCAC for football in the off-season previously. Sure, some trolls like that guy who thought his kid was the greatest LB ever over-hyped the program to a laughable degree, but most just talked about how they were going to be the second best team in PG County (over the likes of RB and Palotti). I mean, even the way they did that was obnoxious as it mixed arrogance w medicority, but at least they didn't pretend they were going anywhere during the offseason. 

1st nd long
6/15/2016 5:06:18 PM

DeMatha is a team full of literal monsters 

NewDC_Jon
6/19/2016 4:57:12 PM

Well, I would prefer it be figurative monsters. Literal monsters scare children. 

tomslick
6/16/2016 6:30:52 AM

The coaching will determine the champion this season...

kjj348
6/20/2016 9:15:18 AM

there you have it folks. no need to discuss anything further, the smartest man on the board has spoken, and his wisdom has given us the gem above. how have you not been oferred a job  with ESPN yet? you mean to tell me, that the team with the best coaching, in a league with four teams that are talent laden (and macnamara) is likely to be the team that wins the championship? pure genius. 

pirate1511
6/20/2016 9:21:37 PM

I can see Mac being good..maybe making it into the playoffs. They do have a ton of talent and those two kids who can really move-they have some size at reciever and have been building a good team lately. This is probably the most talent they have had in almost 10 years, they are solid.

DeMatha will be DeMatha as always.

GZ will be slightly worse-still returning an awful lot of juniors plus the QB Brown.

SJC will be really good- my dark horse champion. I dont know who they have at RB this year though-need someone besides Hill running the ball.

This years GC team will probably be the worst one in quite some time. They lost 4-5 offensive linemen, 2 recievers, and their fullback and lost 7-8 defensive starters too. GC has been putting themselves in bad positions recruiting and playing favorites-and it is coming back to them a little bit. They do not have the size up front they had last year and will have inexperienced skill players and will have to rely on their QB -(who can play) to sling it around. They have a very easy schedule-but I see them losing at LEAST 4 games (Spalding, GZ, DM, SJC)

smalltownboy
6/23/2016 1:32:42 PM

If you really think McNamara will beat RBS again you are fooling yourself. This year RBS has one of the best QB's in the area and last year QB was an coverted safety that had to step up and for the record he had a good season. The kid is back at his natural position this year and  one of the best safties in the area. The score was close at halftime but the 2nd half Mac kids did step up and the RBS start cramping all over the field. This year game will be at RBS under the lights and with Mac losing key lineman and RBS having a strong line it should be a great game. Plus if Mac is starting the QB that step in for the GC game I give RBS a real chance becasue he don't have the game time experience as the RBS QB.     

dcross
6/23/2016 2:55:26 PM

Are you serious? Is this a joke?? Are you really going down the RBS vs MAC road again? The game was never close or competitve, it was 21-0 in the first Quarter. Mac didnt step up in the second half, they cruised to an easy win. The only reason RBS wasnt on a running clock was because MAC was trying to pass for 500 yds agains them. There was never a reason to step up RBS never had a chance. They were totally outclassed in every aspect. Where were you last year when RBS lost?? You talked trash all summer then went missing after the game. Last year it was the D1 secondary, the D1 lineman, and the WCAC caliber players. This year it's "we have one of the  best QB's in the area" and of course RBS boasts another "strong" line. I hope its better than the one who couldn't get a pass rush or stop the run vs MAC last year. If RBS is that confident that they will win after what happened last year then the coaching staff has learned nothing. Nobody from RBS is in a position to trash talk MAC. There is no rivalry after a blowout. Last year was an embarrassment to their program. Stop talking trash and try to find a way to actually win. 

NewDC_Jon
6/24/2016 5:02:17 PM

Cross, I think your recollection of the first half is off. BMac muffed a conversion attempt in the first 1/4 - I think it was 20-0 after 1. And the halftime score was respectable, no? I thought a bad RB team were within a touchdown at the half, something like 20-15 thanks to some laughably bad run defense and a muffed punt by Mac. Also, if Mac was trying to pass for 500 v them they came up very short. If Ramar had 300 passing yards in that game I would be shocked. 

Overall, though the game stopped being competitive in the second half. 

dcross
6/25/2016 6:34:26 AM

You are right about the first quarter score, 20-0, oops 1 point. I was at that game and was excited to see some good football. One thing i do know is that by the end of the first quarter RBS was done. I'll admit, it seemed like MAC took their foot off the gas little in the second quarter by not running against a gassed out RBS football team. That was just record chasing for Ramar. MAC was guilty of that a few times last year. That allowed Rbs to score on a lucky pass on an ill advised throw while the QB was being hit and a great run (52yds). Lee had 93 rushing yds that game and 52 came on one play so i dont understand how the run D was laughably bad. They gave up one play to a great runner. Other than that, he had 41yds in 4 quarters. Overall an outmatched team, and i doubt this years team will be better. The only laughable thing i saw is somebody saying anybody thinking RBS will lose to MAC again is fooling themselves.

NewDC_Jon
6/30/2016 5:14:16 PM

Sorry, wasn't splitting hairs, trying to make sure I remembered the game right. In the second quarter the run D was laughably bad - namely due to LB breakdowns. You referenced the lee Run in the second 1/4 and he had another run for 10+ yards in the same quarter as did Blount. Pretty bad run defense in that quarter. They shored it up though in the second half.

smalltownboy
6/27/2016 9:42:20 AM

St. Johns will destroy Dematha and MAC this year they have to much talent and the best QB in the area.

FootballFanatic11
6/27/2016 11:55:57 AM

Destroy DeMatha and Mac???   Really???  You must be a SJ alum/student/parent or fan to actually believe that.   I think destroy is a bit strong.  Heck, I'm not even sure they will win either game ,,, period.  Lots of talent yes ,,, but SJC has tons of talent every year.  So whats differenet this season?  A new coaching staff?  A handful of transfers?   Only time will tell.

silverbullet
6/27/2016 12:55:24 PM

Interesting prediction considering the fact that SJC has not bested DM in football in what, 23 years? Last year, I think the scores were 40-0 and 42-21 in favor of DeMatha at the varsity level with DM winning both the freshman and JV games. According to ESPN, DM has the three best returning players in the league with DE Young, RB McFarland, and OL Minor. The QB English and the DM OC picked SJC apart last season. Knowing all of that, do you really think three transfers are going push SJC into destroying DeMatha?

Nothng against the QB Hill. I think he is a great QB and leader, but let's see him work without that huge Gilman OL from last year and DeMatha's entire D1-FBS DL coming at him every play. 

TWash99
6/30/2016 1:05:54 AM

Sjc has something up their sleeve. They will win and dominate the WCAC this year. you will see

NewDC_Jon
6/30/2016 11:45:34 AM

Well now I am curious as to what it is that is up their sleeve. Are they going to destroy what little credibility they have left as a school that promotes the "student" portion of the term "student athletes" and just start paying football players to come there? I mean, that is just about the only thing left for them to do from an athletics perspective that would surprise anyone. They have sold their soul to Under Armour, seem fine with admitting senior transfers, and can their best coaches for the sake of hiring notable (but less talented) ones. So what else could possibly be up their sleeves short of paying players, opening up their own Balco-esque drug lab, or creating paper classes a la UNC?

TWash99
6/30/2016 4:28:06 PM

I'll enjoy seeing sjc obliterate DM this year.

NewDC_Jon
6/30/2016 5:08:36 PM

Well, it has been 20+ years. I assume if it happens most SJC alum will enjoy it. I mean, the Washington Generals beat the Harlem Globetrotters more often than that. Think about that - a team that is essentially paid to lose beats their opponent more often than SJC football beats DeMatha. 

And please remember, if by some miracle SJC does beat DeMatha it will be on the backs of senior transfers. But worry about BMac first. Your boys have had a tough time w the kids from Forrestville for a few years now. 

tomslick
6/30/2016 7:01:35 PM

Going to be interesting to watch if they are more aggressive on defense now that they have a new head coach, and with some DT & LB help. The kid Vessels is pretty good and want to see how they use him with Shane Lee. They should be stronger and more confident up the middle on D with the additions. And I like the kid D. McDaniel at safety, good size, good speed. We will soon see!

afros
6/28/2016 3:05:13 PM

Are we really gonna do this again with McNamara. They are the epitome of mediocre. Thats not an insult its' the truth.

They are always between 4 or 6 wins and every year someone comes on the site talking about "watch out" for them.

Let me tell you this...Sullivan is very talented and well coached. I know two members of their staff and they get it done. 

McNamara has some ttalent but the will again be "hoping" for that 4th spot. 

Lastly, someone on this thread said they played Gonzaga tough and lost by 10pts...i was at that game and that game was never in doubt ...Mc scored two lated TDS vs scrubs...Game was well in hand in the 4th qtr...and they scored late vs. DM.

Late season depth will be an issue and they should hope to be 4th...Ryken played them tough, not sure what Ryken has but Mc should be concerned with one win at a time, and stay far away from WCAC Title talk.

If you cant run the ball or stop the run you wont win this league...Good Luck