Attention SportsFans!

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent closing of schools and the spring sports season, we will be temporarily shutting down the site to make small changes and improvements for the fall.

As always, thank you for your patronage over the past 15 years and we look forward to seeing you online when this is over. Any questions can be directed to editor@dcsporsfan.com.

Sincerely,
TheSportsFanNetwork.com

Why are we drinking the SJC kool-aid?

7/6/2016 12:50:03 PM
Fournette2.0
7/6/2016 12:50:03 PM

Do you really think SJC will be DeMatha next year because they brought in some transfers?  No! Let's put it out there, before SJC can even be in the same breath as DeMatha, they need to figure out how to beat Mac because for two straight years, Mac has owned them.  I don't think Kasim Hill will be as good as he was at Gilman.  The comp is better in the WCAC and he will be forced to make tougher decisiions.  At Gilman, he had it easy.  They had one team to beat every year and that was McDonogh.  All other teams such as Loyola, Calvert Hall, Spalding, MSJ, didn't have the horses to compete. 

I think SJC and Plank bit off more then they can chew with their schedule this year.  They could potentially start the season 0-6 or 1-5 with the only win coming against American Heritage.  How do they survive a three game stretch of IMG, Good Counsel and DeMatha?  No way in Hades!!  Transfers don't equal championships.  The game still has to be played on the field.  Cam Spence, the LB transfer and Kasim Hill and whoever else they got, won't make a significant difference at the end of the day.  The other WCAC schools have top flight athletes as well.  Will they be better? Maybe, but hopefully that kool-aid isn't what Jim Jones served in the Amazon jungle. 

NewDC_Jon
7/6/2016 3:46:30 PM

SJC's record is tough. You are right, they could easily start off 0-6 but still make the WCAC playoffs as their next three games after that brutal stretch are all very winable. But I haven't heard anyone say that SJC will be DeMatha next year simply because they brought in some transfers. Then again, I really only tend to listen to intelligent people, so there may be some murmors out there. Apparently you are hearing it. That said, SJC isn't bringing in the 12-13 that BMac brings in annually. All those transfers at BMac haven't made much of a difference. So, I do agree with you that transfers don't equal championships - BMac's record over the past 3-4 years and the number of transfers they bring in yearly certainly prove that true. Good point.  

Also, I really wouldn't call beating a team by two and then one touchdown "owning" them. SJC has fared poorly against BMac for two years but not gotten "owned." Now, losing by 40 to OLGC, 38 to DeMatha, 30 to Ryken and 35 to Mt. St Joes - that is getting owned. Or, going 0-18 over the last 6 years against Gonzaga, DeMatha, and Good Counsel in the regular season - that is getting owned. But two close loses two years in a row, not really getting "owned."

Good post though. Thanks for sharing. 

dcross
7/6/2016 11:31:26 PM

I get what ur coming from about not getting owned by MAC. But it looks pretty bad when every year you are supposed to be a contender, and ur losing to the likes of BMAC. Who basically everyone says is in the basement of the WCAC, doesn't matter if the games are close. MAC put SJC out of the playoffs 2 years ago by beating them, and this past year scored 42 on them with a backup QB with the playoffs on the line at SJC. How SJC talks, they should be blowing MAC out. The last time SJC beat MAC the score was 15-14, maybe both are mediocre teams, and thats why they play each other so tough.

kjj348
7/6/2016 3:54:49 PM

I think the most revealing part of your post is that you can name several SJC players. That means you are scared of them, plain and simple. I don't think there have been more than three players in the past five years whose names were worth knowing at BMAC, yet you just named at least two for SJC next year. If I were you, I wouldn't give those choke artists any locker room material. While BMAC has beaten SJC in the past two years, it has been despite the fact that SJC far outclassed BMAC talent wise, and more due to the fact that SJC is a dumpster fire of a school and their athletics program (specifically the coaches and the AD) is the blue part of the flame.

gostag
7/6/2016 4:15:28 PM

I would be more concerned with Joe Patterson's departure in beating St. John's than Kasim Hill's arrival.  That being said, they are defnitely going to be a problem this season talent wise and maybe coaching wise for the WCAC.  McNamara may bring in more transfers but these guys are legit in terms of talent, make no mistake about it.  We have some transfers from Gilman, but they are the hard dudes not the soft dudes.  That is the difference.  However, DeMatha beats them by 20 plus points, again.  Go Stags!

jbry12
7/6/2016 4:32:12 PM

Let's first start off by me saying that I in no way support SJC or am I drinking this "Kool-aid" but let's give credit where credit is due.

1. What was St. John's main problem? Keeping that Patterson Guy around ! With all the talent that was already at SJC (not including the transfers) with this new coach and his track record maybe SJC will get over the hump as far as getting rid of that horrible coaching on the offensive side of the ball. Let's not forget that SJC has had a top 3 Defense the past 4 years. 

2. Speaking of offense, SJC has finally got a good QB at the helm. Probably the best QB the WCAC has seen since Kevin Hogan. He's two times better than any QB in this conference especially including the QB's at Mac and Dematha. I've seen him play live many times and saying he won't be able to play in this conference is crazy. 

3. Bishop Mac has brought in 10 to 12 transfers in every year but why haven't these transfers made the difference? Because the transfers aren't that good. The difference with SJC is that they have brought in quality and quantity. I mean they brought in the 12 best player in the nation accoriding to 247sports to protect their QB's blindside. 

Im not sipping the Kool-aid but maybe this is the year that SJC will beat Dematha and win the championship...

silverbullet
7/6/2016 10:28:44 PM

Some good points...

1. Yes, the coaching change may help SJC in the big games. They never really seemed to "show up" in the big ones.

2. Hill is not 2x better than English or the QB's at GC and GZ. All of those kids are D1 talent and very good HS QB's. Hill has the measureables to project better at the next level, but we'll see. He had an unbelievable OL to play behind and two D1 senior work horse RBs at Gilman last year. As a Terps fan, I'd love to see him pan out, but who knows...

3. Who is the 12th best player in the nation playing OT at SJC to protect Hill's blindside...that's news to me. 

SJC better beat BMAC this year. That's the only "must win" on their schedule.  

tomslick
7/7/2016 6:16:34 AM

Yep heard they grabbed a left tackle. Also they have some new coaching on the defensive side of the ball too in the one spot that was needed. A DB coach! You can be great up front but if your back half cant cover you wont win. STJ did a good job this offseason.

silverbullet
7/7/2016 11:05:34 AM

Gotcha. I wouldn't go around saying the new OT is the 12th best player in the nation according to 247. One quick google search and you know that's not the truth. Maybe you heard about the DT from IMG and were confused. He is very legit and ranked by 247, but not close to 12th. 

tomslick
7/7/2016 3:23:48 PM

Dont know anything about the kids rating but heard he was huge. They might get $10 out of me this season though.

silverbullet
7/7/2016 12:58:36 PM

I take that back...looks like you may be right. 4th school in 4 years and a senior transfer for the OT from Florida. Aggressive move by SJC.

NewDC_Jon
7/8/2016 12:44:15 PM

Aggressive is one word to use to describe this, although not the one I would use. Taking senior transfers, those transfering purely for athletic reasons, and kids who want to jump from school to school at the expense of their education is what the likes of St. James, Oak Hill, Montrose Christian, and certain Public Charter schools of the world do. It's not what the WCAC did (except PVI) until now. Even the BMac football yearly wholesale transfers clearly wasn't only about athletics as many of those kids couldn't start elsewhere. These moves by SJC are completely different.

A lot of folks troll this site knocking the WCAC for not adhering to a transfer rule because of an obvious inferiority complex they have. The WCAC may have gotten away from the letter of the law regardng the rule but they stuck true to the intent of it (except PVI, their hoops program is a revolving door): emphasize athletics but not at the expense of academics. SJC has destroyed that. It is obvious where SJC's priorities now lie: win at all costs no matter how far you have to stray from your mission and destroy the reputation of your academics and admissions. It's a shame. They have actually given said trolls a legit attack for the first time ever. 

TWash99
7/6/2016 6:27:55 PM

Sjc will beat Dematha this year. the stags have fallen off a bit after graduating a plethora of seniors last year. I only see two seniors on their team that will make a impact. I'll let you figure that one out. And where is all this MAC nonsense coming from? Who in their rabid mind seriously thinks Mac is a tittle contender? The nonsense needs to stop. We all know who the four teams are.

NewDC_Jon
7/6/2016 8:06:14 PM

Well I guess a blind horse does find water every 25 years or so. Especially when that blind horse is being led by a senior transfer quarterback. So if SJC does beat DeMatha, it wont come as a complete and total shock to everyone. I mean even the Generals beat the Globetrotters every now and again. And the Generals dont have anything like SJC's admissions staff which will look the other way constantly to let anyone and everyone in who can play football regardless of what grade they are in. 

TWash99
7/6/2016 9:01:27 PM

We're gonna act like dematha doesn't let any and everybody in who's good at a sport. Half the kids don't even do their own schoolwork, but hey.. that's none of my business☕️🐸 

silverbullet
7/6/2016 10:08:42 PM

Typical response for someone with nothing to say. That mindset worked out well with the "DeMatha kids can't read" shtick before that first 40-0 running clock stomping last season... Oh I love people who have a false sense of high academic prowess just because their school is located in an affluent neighborhood....

NewDC_Jon
7/7/2016 10:36:20 AM

Agreed. For any SJC student/parent/faculty/staff/alum to knock the academics/admissions of DeMatha is laughable. 

kjj348
7/7/2016 12:44:11 PM

Those stupid enough to think MAC could win the WCAC are right on par with those stupid enough to think SJC will end their decades long drought against DM this year, or those stupid enough to send their kids to a school that is literally a pile of trash...which is on fire.

BigGame
7/6/2016 10:11:22 PM

St Johns has transfers coming? Bmac? Dematha? Not the WCAC schools that have a transfer rule in place. Now everyone seems to be ok and accepting of schools getting transfers coming in... You guys are funny

silverbullet
7/6/2016 10:31:00 PM

Are you implying that WCAC schools shouldn't accept academically able students into their schools just because they play a sport?

kjj348
7/7/2016 12:46:03 PM

there have actually been a lot of threads in which posts discuss how much people are pissed about the 43 transfers into MAC, and the handful that went everywhere else. but you would need at least the reading comprehension skills of a third grader to pick up on that, so i understand your confusion.

NewDC_Jon
7/7/2016 12:58:29 PM

43 football transfers into Mac sounds low. Is that # just for this summer?

BigGame
7/6/2016 11:21:57 PM

Im asking the people (not sure where you stood on the topic years ago) that blasted the non-WCAC schools for accepting academically able students years ago if it is acceptable now because their WCAC schools are leading the transfer wave.

For the record, I dont have an issue with the students transferring schools but I just find it funny that the discussion has changed

NewDC_Jon
7/7/2016 10:38:02 AM

I seem to remember some conversation along those lines regarding St. James accepting Montrose kids 2 years ago. I do not recall anything from last year. Can you provide details as a refresher?

kjj348
7/7/2016 12:49:24 PM

Most WCAC people are still not okay with wholesale transfers. kid moves in from out of town, or has some other issues, sure those can be examples of a legit transfer post sophomore year. but you'd be hard pressed to find any administrator at a WCAC school who is ok with kids transferring in as juniors and senior merely for sport.n the discussion has changed because the last 9 months have seen these message boards explode with some of the dumbest dads to ever grace this earth (and live vicariously through their offspring) who think HS sports are the key to their lives no longer being mediocre.

tomslick
7/8/2016 6:38:58 AM

Of course the discussion has changed because the rich get richer is the motto that matters. You can transfer into is the smart thing to do but youre dumb if you transfer out. The minute any public/charter get transfers they fall out and piss-a-fit. I dont care about transfers either but when the convo has been there is a transfer rule in place when there really wasnt is hilarious to me. 

ANYONEBUTWVU
7/7/2016 1:10:58 PM

The most important transfer that SJC admits this Fall, if indeed there will be 1, 2, or or 12, will be the new coach.   

smalltownboy
7/14/2016 1:45:43 PM

My understanding SJC will also be bringing in two transfer CB's this would make their defense probably the best in the area. 

LBLB
8/14/2016 12:45:01 PM

Good pleyers and a good strength program is a recipe for success.  Have you seen the St. Johns kids?  They have been pounding the iron!