Attention SportsFans!

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent closing of schools and the spring sports season, we will be temporarily shutting down the site to make small changes and improvements for the fall.

As always, thank you for your patronage over the past 15 years and we look forward to seeing you online when this is over. Any questions can be directed to editor@dcsporsfan.com.

Sincerely,
TheSportsFanNetwork.com

Its that time again folks

8/1/2016 3:41:54 PM
Bebe Kids
8/1/2016 3:41:54 PM

Folks,  Its that time again. The cleats are being laced up, pads put on, and chin straps fastened.  The top 25 rankings are out and once again DeMatha rounds out the top 10 and the probably the best in the area again this year.

1- St John Bosco

2- IMG

3 - Cedar Hill

4 - Mater Dei

5 - Bishop Gorman

6 - Katy

7 - St Thomas Aquinas

8 - Grayson

9 - Cibolo Steele

10 - DeMatha

silverbullet
8/1/2016 6:41:24 PM

HSFA Top 25....

#10 DeMatha 

#23 Good Counsel

St. John's plays #11 Central Catholic in game 1. We'll see if the new(trying to be nice) transfer policy works out immediately.

MaxPreps Preseason Top 50....

#19 DeMatha 

#37 Good Counsel

Looks like I'm not the only one high on GC. Still not sure why people think they are taking a step back in 2016.

Falcon83
8/3/2016 2:17:56 AM

GC schedule sets up pretty well, travel notwithstanding.  Gilman should be less of a challenge than prior.  SJC will have a ton of talent.  Both of those games will pit new head coaches against one of the best in Milloy.  They could easily go undefeated into the last game of the season vs. DM.  They have talent all around - but do lack quality depth.  They have two good scrimmages and an early game against a tougher than they get credit for Spalding outfit. They should be ready.  If they stumble vs. Spalding...then we know they have issues. That being said, that may be too high of a national ranking.  Outside of DM and SJC performing as they are "equipped", we will might not know how good they really are as those guys win on anybody's paper. They will beat Gonzaga - and if they beat SJC in their regular season match up - they lose to DM in the season final and get SJC in a rematch in the playoffs. Both will be different teams by November.  Nobody knows what that game looks like right now.

DM ranking is about right.

GC is probably too high. But probably still in top 100.

Gonzaga is definately too high. They lost a lot from what I have read. 

SJC is anybody's guess.  But on paper probably higher than the GC and GZ.  So it's up to what the new HC does.  His resume would lead you to believe they will be much improved vs what we saw in prior years given the talent.  The DM game will be a war.

No hate on anyone.  #2, #3 and #4 are all closer than ever.  Dont see any of them knocking #1 twice. Just how I see it before any pads.

silverbullet
8/2/2016 9:31:16 PM

A total of four WCAC teams in the HSFA Preseason top 50....

#10 DeMatha

#23 Good Counsel

#30 Gonzaga 

#39 St. John's 

That's the only representation in the poll for DC, MD, and VA. Best year ever for the WCAC? Thoughts? The spotlight is definitely on....

Bebe Kids
8/3/2016 1:39:49 PM

As it should be. The WCAC is by far the best conference in the area. The same argument was made last year that the top four schools are superior to almost every other program going. So once again here we go DeMatha or Good Counsel will most likely end up being the number one football team in the area and everyone else will continue to chase them.

The Stags will most likely be the only team to have a 4 peat this year.  I'm sure HD and Bullis supporters (Slick) will make a strong push in their conferences to a 4 peat also. But neither of those teams or programs can compete with the top WCAC programs hence st johns thrashing of bullis or Gonzaga domination of HD.

tomslick
8/3/2016 4:42:37 PM

Dayum Daniel! But I think you did a pretty good job saying it so I dont need too. Instead I'll bring up the VT and Duke commits that play on the line up Bullis. Thats two kids in this class committed to play at Duke. Pretty good for a school that is average academically. Also I like what coach Franklin said about Cam Brown https://youtu.be/yA_si9S4JMk Good stuff there if I say so myself. Now you can go back to your HS National Football Rankings Show! Cheers...

NewDC_Jon
8/4/2016 3:38:41 PM

Kudos to the university for honoring their scholarship to one of them after he got kicked out of Bullis last year for having sex on campus with and only got readmitted after Pat went to bat for him when a few recruits to Bullis changed their minds. Shame Pat couldn't do the same for the Bullis hoops player who got kicked out for doing the same. It is good to know that Bullis will not tolerate statutory rape when it involves a basketball player.

Here is to hoping that the Bullis football team can keep it in their pants long enough to win another IAC title. Lord knows the lacrosse program created enough off the field distractions for themselves last year in their march to their title. Hope the football team can avoid the same (or at least have someone quietly sweep it under the rug as tends to happen on Falls Road). 

kjj348
8/4/2016 3:53:02 PM

Going to Duke for football is like going to Bullis for anything.

tomslick
8/4/2016 6:58:13 PM

4 straight bowl apperances for the Blue Devils. Again pretty good for an academic school! How does that compare to UMD and NC State?  

kjj348
8/5/2016 9:19:56 AM

You mean to tell me that Duke is one of the 120 teams to make it into one of the 40 bowl games now played? Thats impressive. I mean, only like, 2/3 of the teams that play can even go to a bowl each year, so that is a pretty big accomplishment. I dare say almost as impressive as winning the IAC in football. I mean, not everyone can beat Landon and St. Stehpen's St. Agnes every year. On a side note, no one over the age of 19 should be saying "damn daniel," especially after it has been dead for months. Stop trying to make "fetch" happen.  

NewDC_Jon
8/5/2016 10:42:18 AM

Come on KJJ, they made the Belk Bowl. That counts for something right? And their 1-3 record in bowl games over the past four years (with their only win coming in overtime against the worst team in the history of the Big 10) is impressive, no? 

Yeah, no it isn’t. Want to know what is impressive for an "academic school" (whatever the hell that term means)? Doing what Stanford has done, namely going 4-2 in pretty legit bowl games over the past six years. I think their QB for the past three years was a local kid, no? I also think he went to a high school that didn't have laughable admissions requirements and whose average SAT scores were actually above average. I also think he went to a high school where student-athletes aren't allowed to have sex on campus. I also think he went to a high school that did not have a single student disseminate a homemade racist video last year.

That said, kudos to Duke for taking a flyer on someone from Bullis who committed statutory rape. 

prettyboy
8/5/2016 11:06:24 AM

I don't think Bullis has produced one home grown player who has been at the school since 8th grade. Any D1 player on their roster already had offers before transferring in to the school as a junior or senior. 

It looks very bad on Pat's part for having the kid re-instated after what happened on campus. 

kjj348
8/5/2016 11:16:42 AM

agreed, and I am not a big fan of Pat, but its more on the administration than his shoulders if they let him back in after that.  I can't blame him wanting a talented kid back on the team. The fact they let him back in tells you all you need to know about the way that school is run though.

NewDC_Jon
8/5/2016 2:10:54 PM

I am a fan of Pat and cannot believe he went to bat for the kid. Regarding what you said about developing players, agreed as well. It is not a school that is known for improving the academic or athletic ability who steps foot on its campus. 

Crazy
8/3/2016 12:57:07 PM

Those teams named have some great talent its really interesting to see which one of these teams will come out on top:

Dematha has the obvious: Chase Young, Anthony McFarland, and Marcus Minor

Good Counsel: Joshua Pashcal, Ayinde Eley

St Johns: Kasim Hill, Calvin Ashley (heard through the grapevine that he is now at SJC), Tyree Johnson, and Cam Spence. 

I'm sure I'm missing a few more talented players, these are just the ones that are most talked about. I know these teams will need more than these players to win, but this list of players are a great talent for each of these programs so its going to be real fun to watch.

silverbullet
8/3/2016 10:49:13 PM

Can't forget about Gonzaga. They just had two huge commits from the OL Jordan to Maryland and the WR Fisher to NC State. They have two uncommitted D1 FBS RB's and a D1 QB to go with that.

Crazy
8/4/2016 9:59:30 AM

How did I miss Gonzaga, the only team to beat Dematha last season... I'm excited for the upcoming football season.

icetee
8/4/2016 10:44:46 PM

so funny about the fisher kid...when he had a good game vs the stags Db's last year...many wanted to run to the internet to talk about how exposed(typical word for chat board critics)the db's were, said fisher was no more than a d3 kid who was slow, should never do that to a d1 db etc...all  i saw was a no name kid who made plays and looked like he belonged against great competition...he contiuned to make plays all season and ended up with fbs offers....just have to laugh sometimes..saw a kid lose a rep or two at the opening and chat crew already saying some kid got exposed..lol

drebin
8/3/2016 2:12:43 PM

SJC plays 4 top 25 national teams in their first 6 games........yowza

gostag
8/4/2016 7:30:48 PM

Hello, the WCAC is bigger and better than last year!  Maybe the best field I have seen in many years and I promise that my grammar will be most improved after all that heated retoric in 2015.  The Terps will be a major benefactor of these goons in this league.  Of course, I believe DeMatha wins it all again for many reasons, not the least of which is "we are just built different" and are going for four in a row.  Good Counsel is always tough with great coaching.  Gonzaga lost some talent and we will enjoy that rematch game after last year's loss. McNamara will be very competitive to Good Counsel and Gonzaga.  Everyone else is the same except St. John's, who tried to match talent with us and play a national schedule, which they atually did a decent job of without a doubt, but they cannot create our level of toughness.  They are just plain soft and will need to prove that they are not who we thought they were. Bad news is that they are going to have better coaching with Big Joe and we all will miss Little Joe for years to come. Still sad to think about his departure.   Could be a season to remember. Go Stags!

NewDC_Jon
8/5/2016 10:44:28 AM

It is actually smaller. DJO left, meaning there are fewer teams. That said, I do appreciate your attention to detail when it comes to your grammar. Dan McMahon would be proud.