Attention SportsFans!

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent closing of schools and the spring sports season, we will be temporarily shutting down the site to make small changes and improvements for the fall.

As always, thank you for your patronage over the past 15 years and we look forward to seeing you online when this is over. Any questions can be directed to editor@dcsporsfan.com.

Sincerely,
TheSportsFanNetwork.com

SJC Football

11/25/2019 10:28:34 AM
sjc4life
11/25/2019 10:28:34 AM

First off -- congrats to Good Counsel and their 2019 championship. Impressive win.

As for SJC, what's the point of bringing in all these outside recruits and playing a "national schedule" if we can't even win our own conference? Might as well save the big games for the WCAC. 

Maybe I'm just old school, but I prefer when we won with home grown talent and not the latest and greatest shipment into DC. Who would want to send their kid to SJC these days just to have them benched their senior season for the flavor of the month.

Congrats to Good Counsel for doing it the right way. 

lbaxter
11/26/2019 8:07:43 AM
Agree @sjc4life

First time I've ever agreed with someone from St. John's. Maybe they do teach a few things in those classrooms from time to time...

salparadise
11/25/2019 11:58:19 AM

1.) A lot of people are happy that St. John's hasn't dominated the league since Honolulu-gate. Congrats to Good Counsel. Many, many WCAC alums from different schools were rooting for you. 

2.) You can't win your own conference every year when the WCAC is as healthy as its ever been. Four different champions in the past four seasons. Four different finalists in the championship game the last two seasons. In the final two minutes of the last two championship games, there were 30 points scored and 4 lead changes. It could have easily been DeMatha and St. John's as champions the past two seasons instead of Gonzaga and Good Counsel. WCAC football is wild right now, and I love it. 

DCPublic
11/25/2019 12:30:55 PM

The league is great. Better than ever. And there's enough talent locally to fill rosters. Keep the out of state players out of state!

Rykenman
11/25/2019 6:31:44 PM

We got next

charlatan33
11/26/2019 9:55:20 AM

I don't know about that. I'm hearing rumors that Ryken moving up is contingent on McNamara being willing to move down, which supposedly they aren't interested in. If that is true then it's a shame and defeats the purpose of splitting the conference. 

On another note, it's great to see Carroll football heading in the right direction. Congrats to them on a solid season.

macanthony1982
11/26/2019 10:27:04 AM

the rules of the conference is that the whichever school wins two straight titles in the metro division, moves up and lowest team in the capital division moves down...   McNamara best follow the rule and move on down...

RULES ARE RULES...  

charlatan33
11/26/2019 10:38:36 AM

What I heard was that that was assumed, but never actually codified. 

theguru
11/26/2019 3:13:09 PM

This is what it should be for 2020. 

WCAC Capital League

DeMatha, Good Counsel, Gonzaga, St. John's, St. Mary's Ryken

WCAC Metro League

Carroll, Ireton, Paul VI, O'Connell, McNamara 

macanthony1982
11/27/2019 3:17:30 PM

sounds about accurate...    since according to the rule, 'the team that wins the "Metro" division two years in a row will be elegible to move up to the Capital division and a team in the capital division will move to Metro division based on records in that span'

BBALLDADDY
12/12/2019 1:34:39 PM

The problem with that is, once SMR moves up and Mac move down, Mac will win two consecutive Metro championships also.  Then what happens?  SMR move back down and Mac move back up?  There has to be a better solution.  What about adding more competitive teams to the Metro division?  St. Frances?  Or some of these other schools (in the area) that plays independent schedules.  There has to be a better solution. 

BBALLDADDY
12/12/2019 1:37:06 PM

Or NCA

DCSportsFan.com
1/31/2020 10:46:48 AM
On Jan. 31, St. John’s College High School announced that Pat Ward ’93 will be the new head coach of the Cadet football program beginning with the 2020 season.

Ward has coached the Cadets for the past 19 years; he is currently the program’s associate head coach and offensive coordinator. In addition, he has served as St. John’s assistant director of athletics for the past eight years.

A 1993 graduate of St. John’s, Ward is a member of St. John’s Athletic Hall of Fame. He comes from a long line of St. John’s graduates, including his grandfather, Robert Cady ’37; uncle, Mike Cady ’69; cousins, Frank Cady ’42 and Ralph Hawkins ’53; and brother, Mike Ward ’06, who also coaches for the SJC football program.

As a student, he anchored a Cadet football team that advanced to the championship game, and he was a two-time All-American, two-time All-Met and two-time all-league player. Ward was presented with St. John’s Mush Dubofsky Award, which recognizes the player who made the biggest contribution to the football team.

He went on to have a stellar career at the University of Maryland. He was a four-year starter, spending one year as a defensive tackle and three years as an offensive guard. The Terps recognized Ward with the prestigious A.V. Williams Award, presented to the football player who demonstrates outstanding sportsmanship.

Ward began coaching for St. John’s in 2000, and he has met with tremendous success. He’s coached 24 first team all-league linemen, 11 first- or second-team All-Met linemen, six All-Americans and three NFL players. Ward was selected as an assistant coach for the 2013 Under Armour All-American Game. In 2012, he established the Ward Line Academy, through which he works with linemen in grades six and higher in a one-on-one setting.

As assistant director of athletics, Ward oversees the day-to-day operations of St. John’s Athletic Department and the school’s athletic facilities. In addition to accepting the role of head coach, Ward has also agreed to serve as acting athletic director until the school completes its search for the position. Before joining St. John’s faculty, Ward served as an athletic director and teacher at The Heights School in Potomac, MD.

Joe Casamento, who led the Cadet football program as head coach for the past four years, plans to retire this June. During his tenure, St. John’s advanced to the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference championship game three times. The Cadets won the championship in 2017, the school’s first football conference championship since 1989, and they finished the season undefeated in the WCAC for the first time since 1976. The 2017 team is also the only St. John’s football team to ever defeat both DeMatha (first win since 1994) and Gonzaga twice in the same season. Overall, Casamento has a 22-6 WCAC record as head coach for the Cadets.

“Coach Caz is a true coach of coaches, and I’m fortunate to have been mentored by such a good leader, teacher and person,” Ward said. “My family has been part of the St. John’s community since my grandfather enrolled here in 1933, and I’m very proud of our history at St. John’s. I’m excited to continue the proud tradition of Cadet football in this new role.”

Follow us on Twitter @DCSportsFan